Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pepper steak

mommy24

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:15 pm
Do any of you have a recipe that I could use the pepper steak meat for. I do not want to make pepper steak. I defrosted that meat accidentally and now do not know what to do with it for shabbos. Maybe a beef stew? TIA

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:19 pm
slice it into thin pieces (as thin as you can) and stir fry with whatever veggies you like. add soy sauce or any other interesting marinade and serve with rice.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:27 pm
Sure. that's one of the first things I cooked when we got m arried, from thje Old LUb cookbook:

You marinate the meat in some soy sce, garlic, and oil.

You sautee an onion, 2 cut up pepper, and some celery. Add themeat and cook until almost done, cut up some tomatoes and add them, and then make your sce with a little water and 1 T cornstarch or flour. Add, heat and serve with rice.

Mmmmmmmmmmm

mommy24

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:42 pm
thanks, these sound great, but I have no vegtables to stir fry, maybe a zuchinni and onions but htat is it. any other ideas? thanks

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:50 pm
1. Slice potatoes and onions into a pan, sprinkle with garlic powder and basil or rosemary or whatever herbs you want, drizzle a bit of olive oil. Place the pepper steak on top and pour bbq sauce on it. Cover and bake for an hour.

2. Sautee with some onion, add bbq sauce and cumin, stuff in pita with any salad veggies you have. Mock shwarma.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:58 pm
what do you have in a can, anything Chinese ?

mommy24

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 9:04 pm
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I am going to try HY's first recipe, thanks so much!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 9:29 pm
mommy24 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I am going to try HY's first recipe, thanks so much!

So let me edit...or until potatoes are done...depending on how thin they are sliced, some take longer to cook through.

shayna82

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 9:39 am
Im making pepper steak tonight...that recipe that someone posted on here to put everyhting in a pan and cook. im worried that the meat will get dried out. any suggestions?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 10:09 am
how would gthe meat get dried out? are you marinating it and cooking it with liquid ?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 10:35 am
shayna82 wrote:
Im making pepper steak tonight...that recipe that someone posted on here to put everyhting in a pan and cook. im worried that the meat will get dried out. any suggestions?

I made with shoulder sub steak Sunday. If you put in onions, it adds juice...coat the meat with BBQ sauce, and cover tightly....it makes steam....we even had a drop of gravy from the potatoes and onions. I spray oil on top of the potatoes, but if you're worried you can drizzle olive oil....

Another idea is to add a bit of soup broth and skip the BBQ sauce....layer the potatoes and onions and spice like mentioned, put on meat, sprinkle on onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper.
If you have no chicken soup or whatever lying around, take a bit of soup mix (I use MSG free), mix with some water to make a broth, and pour over.
The trick is to cover tightly.

It's never dried out for me, but sometimes the meat is a bit tougher, depending on the cut.

shayna82

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 10:38 am
the pepper steak seems very thin to me. thats why im worried it will get dried out fast. but I guess I will make it with lots of liquid. I make chinese stir fry all the tiem and it comes out good, so I dont know why im all worried about this recipe. I have sauces, oils and vedggies. thanks for your help guys

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 10:48 am
shayna82 wrote:
the pepper steak seems very thin to me. thats why im worried it will get dried out fast. but I guess I will make it with lots of liquid. I make chinese stir fry all the tiem and it comes out good, so I dont know why im all worried about this recipe. I have sauces, oils and vedggies. thanks for your help guys

That was my point about the sub steak -- it's also VERY thin (cost me less than $4 for 2 slabs, it weighed that little)....and it worked fine Smile

Good luck!

shayna82

Post Tue, Mar 04 2008, 11:08 am
THank You!

Im gonna make rice and hopefully it will come out great!

shayna82

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:36 pm
just letting you guys know- my husband said it was one of the best dinners ive made--- the whole house smelled so good!!! I made this rice casserole with it = also the first time makin git and that came out so good- my 7 month old couldnt get enough of it! thanks for your help and tips!

MOM222

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:40 pm
which recipe did you use?

pappymom

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:43 pm
beef and broccoli recipe in Whats Cooking is great

shayna82

Post Wed, Mar 05 2008, 10:57 pm
mom- I didnt really use a recipe. this is what I did.

I got two packs of peper steak. about 1 1/2 lbs altogether

threw in that, chopped onions, mushrooms, carrots and green pepper, plus some garlic that comes in a jar- like already ground and spices, barbeque sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce and a drop of water, but wasnt really needed. cooked on medium flame for about 45 minutes, then on a lower temp for a little while longer.

it came out sooo good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics