Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Yesterday's events make anger at Lipa's Cancellation seem

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 9:06 am
Yesterday's news events make anger at Lipa's Cancellation seem trivial.

ALSO- Listening to the heartwarming and inspirational Jewish music being played on Nachum Segal show, makes the light headed other kind of music seem childlike and inappropriate for G-d fearing Jews.

Am I the only one thinking this?

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 9:43 am
Tha's what always happens, unfortunately, *real* tragedy makes us realize how silly and frivolous our 'issues' really are. Truth is, my Bubby passed away last Friday so the whole Lipa thing flew out of my mind all week as we dealt with my father sitting shiva... "Where are you gonna be March 9th?" Whi\le I'm not personally going, my family will be at the unveiling of the matzeiva...

Blossom

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 9:45 am
I was just thinking. like -Who would really be in the mood now to go and to the concert after this-. I don't think it would even be appropriate when Klal Yisroel is in mourning to have such a concert going on.

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 10:10 am
I'm not angry at the cancellation or disappointed because I wasn't going to go, obviously. I've never been a Lipa fan, barely listened to his music except on the air once or twice. I pity the loss of money the tzedaka organization has to endure and I pity the job Lipa is out of where his talents lie. I am more than a bit annoyed that the people out to get Lipa were able to succeed in this way. All of these things still stand, and I don't see any connection with that to the massacre in the Yeshiva, except perhaps to hope that those boys had a happy enjoyable time in the short life they lived. The poor families. Crying

Blossom

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 10:29 am
GR wrote:
I'm not angry at the cancellation or disappointed because I wasn't going to go, obviously. I've never been a Lipa fan, barely listened to his music except on the air once or twice. I pity the loss of money the tzedaka organization has to endure and I pity the job Lipa is out of where his talents lie. I am more than a bit annoyed that the people out to get Lipa were able to succeed in this way. All of these things still stand, and I don't see any connection with that to the massacre in the Yeshiva, except perhaps to hope that those boys had a happy enjoyable time in the short life they lived. The poor families. Crying

I agree with what you wrote about the loss of money for the Tzedaka and for Lipa, but on the other hand I respect the decision of the Rabbis (I'm sure you do too).
However although not connected to the massacre, it would be a wrong timing to have a wild concert going on so it seems it was bashert for it to be cancelled.

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 10:59 am
GR wrote:
I am more than a bit annoyed that the people out to get Lipa were able to succeed in this way.
I think the activists confused the Old Lipa with the New Lipa. Old Lipa sang tunes from secular sources, wearing Liberace type outfits and strange glasses, with his Chassidic sidelocks. He made a commitment to change way before the talk of the cancellation. The New Lipa would never have done that. They didn't give him a chance to prove himself.

BUT- It hit me in a powerful way this morning that the soulful, stirring melodies that Nachum Segal's guest hosts played this morning due to the tragedies yesterday, were so much more meaningful and inspiring and spiritually nourishing.

Perhaps the two- outrage at cancellation and two terrible tragedies, occuring so close in time- within a week, have no connection- although we are taught that every time we bat an eyelash, it's predestined from
G-d.

OK- so it's only me. No problem.

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:11 am
Quote:
I agree with what you wrote about the loss of money for the Tzedaka and for Lipa, but on the other hand I respect the decision of the Rabbis (I'm sure you do too).
However although not connected to the massacre, it would be a wrong timing to have a wild concert going on so it seems it was bashert for it to be cancelled.

Blossom, the only thing I can say at the risk of having arrows shot at me or my post deleted by the next time I log on, is that I would like to respect the new Assur but I think we deserve to ask a few questions.

Quote:
think the activists confused the Old Lipa with the New Lipa. Old Lipa sang tunes from secular sources, wearing Liberace type outfits and strange glasses, with his Chassidic sidelocks. He made a commitment to change way before the talk of the cancellation. The New Lipa would never have done that. They didn't give him a chance to prove himself.

letsbehonest, that's one of the things that has me completely confused. I don't think the way of the world is that when people say they are going to be a better person for the benefit of the greater community, we say too bad, you're "punished" anyway.

Quote:
BUT- It hit me in a powerful way this morning that the soulful, stirring melodies that Nachum Segal's guest hosts played this morning due to the tragedies yesterday, were so much more meaningful and inspiring and spiritually nourishing.

It hit me the same way last night when I was listening to Michael Savage and he played a Chazan singing Kaddish. It was very moving.

Quote:
Perhaps the two- outrage at cancellation and two terrible tragedies, occuring so close in time- within a week, have no connection- although we are taught that every time we bat an eyelash, it's predestined from G-d.

Yes, everything is predestined, the only thing I am glad of is that I didn't find out the real reason why the concert had to be cancelled.

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 11:31 am
letsbehonest, soul stirring melodies are surely more meaningful than lebedige simchahdige music but sometimes, we just need that lively music... not lipa style, but just happy music to be happy... we cant always be in the 'down' mode like the sould stirring music puts us in...

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 1:10 pm
I agree. Everything has it's time and place, within reason. But certain performers/-ances create undesirable atmospheres and there has to be boundaries set by our individual Rabbonim.

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 1:35 pm
GR wrote:

Yes, everything is predestined, the only thing I am glad of is that I didn't find out the real reason why the concert had to be cancelled.
Why are you glad about that?

gryp

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 1:39 pm
When things don't turn out exactly how we expect them to, I always think that some terrible thing would have happened if it would have turned out the way it was supposed to.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's always my first thought.

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 1:56 pm
GR wrote:
When things don't turn out exactly how we expect them to, I always think that some terrible thing would have happened if it would have turned out the way it was supposed to.
Maybe I'm wrong, but that's always my first thought.
Interesting thought considering the threat of terrorism these days. Madison Square Garden. Hmmmm. Only Hashem knows.

AGINY

Post Fri, Mar 07 2008, 2:31 pm
This horrible tragedy actually made me think how petty and rediculous the politics/fighting is. Would it have been so terrible to have a great adar concert? With all the suffering and misery, would a little added simcha have been so bad?

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 2:16 pm
AGINY wrote:
With all the suffering and misery, would a little added simcha have been so bad?

Good point.

It's tough sometimes, knowing how to react. On the one hand, no question, imo anochi b'tzara - we feel our brothers' pain. On the other hand, we know how crucial simcha is to our avodas Hashem and the yetzer hara comes up with pious reasons about why we should go about with mournful faces and thoughts, especially in the joyous month of Adar.

I think this article about women at a wedding the night of the massacre says it well. There's an expression in the Zohar, I think, about having simcha in one side of the heart and sadness in the other side. As Jews, we have to be master jugglers.

Quote:
The Jewish nation is one collective soul, and we feel each other's pain. Most of us, I am sure, cried as I did when I saw the horrific photographs from the murder scene and read the names and ages of those innocent high school boys...

But what about feeling another person's joy? Can we honestly say that we empathize with another person's happiness in the same way that we feel their pain? And if we take this idea a little further, what about feeling our own joy? Sometimes the greatest test of all is being able to look past our problems and find out what there is in our lives that is worth living for.

Although it was painful in some ways to keep smiling at the wedding last night, we all did it with a full heart. It's true that some of us may have danced with tears in our eyes, but we still danced, and hopefully the bride began her married life with pleasant feelings and sweet, happy memories that will never fade.

And no matter what life throws at us, no matter what personal tragedies that some of us have to endure, it is important to keep on dancing, to keep working on our own inner happiness and peace, so that the problems and the pain that so many of us undergo will finally recede into the distance. For "happiness breaks through the boundaries," and through it we will eventually overcome the restrictions and limitations that our sorrows can place upon our lives.

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....s.htm

wif

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 4:18 pm
Motek, that is a beautiful article. A salve on my heart. I just sent it out to everyone I know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics