Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Harry potter
Previous  1  2

imale

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 9:35 am
I guess I've been swept in as well! after mocking my bro's I picked up the first book to prove my point and put it down 5 hours later after I read the whole thing. Needless to say they had the last laugh!! LOL

Tila

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 2:14 pm
I am a big fan!! Where is MRS NORRIS????? I love dombledore, and Hagrid. My kids have read the books except for yudi he is only 5.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 2:30 pm
We are not only functioning with our physical bodies in this world, we also have a neshama, and most of us are not aware of how our neshama can be affected. Mystical texts as well as our great Rebbe's, of Blessed memory, teach us that our Neshamas can be impacted by IMAGES, CONTENT, etc in this world. You may be wondering while reading this post, "what has this got to do with Harry Potter, is this mother CRAZY". Harry Potter is not simply hocus pocus nonsense fiction, as many think, it takes some of its content from Witchcraft, as a previous poster pointed out earlier in this thread. To quote SarahG
"I don't know that much about it, but isn't witchcraft ossur? Haven't many poskim come out against Harry Potter books?".

So since many believe so called Parev secular books/movies are fine, maybe this is not exactly fitting into that catogry.
Black magic, alluded to in fiction, has a very marked affect, on our neshamas in a very realway.

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 2:32 pm
I did not mean to post anonymously.

tweety99

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 4:41 pm
youre right, it is a load of nonsence. but we all know that its nonsence, its not like we believe in it! its just fun reading! its actually one of the only non-jewish materials that I read.
I dunno, thats my opinion, everyones entitled to their own.

Tila

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 11:46 am
We are told not to go in to churches. Why?? Because we maybe influanced to go away frm being a jew. But if you believe strongly in yourself and know what you are reading is fiction, and intelligent enough to see the differance; what is the big deal????
I respect your opinion.

Mrs.Norris

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:40 pm
Tila wrote:
I am a big fan!! Where is MRS NORRIS????? I love dombledore, and Hagrid. My kids have read the books except for yudi he is only 5.

I'm here Wink
I love Harry Potter, I think they're completely clean and I expect them to stay that way as they are, after all, kids books.

Absolutely can't wait for book no.7 and found out if Snape really is evil ...
I didn't like the 4th film though, it didn't stick to the storyline at all Surprised

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 5:59 pm
read all the books...

I was at a wedding in my city a couple of yeaars ago and jk rowling herself was there. The kallah (not frum, but a lovely "traditional" Jewish girl) worked as her nanny/assistant for several years.

She was there with her new husband and little girl. I was way too shy to go over to talk her, and I thought she would rather be left alone. She seems a very private person.

It was a very simple wedding and it was funny to see this mega famous wealthy person sitting in our crummy shul hall!!! .

tweety99

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 6:52 am
Tila wrote:
We are told not to go in to churches. Why?? Because we maybe influanced to go away frm being a jew. But if you believe strongly in yourself and know what you are reading is fiction, and intelligent enough to see the differance; what is the big deal????
I respect your opinion.

thanks tila! Very Happy

mrs norris - lol nice choice of a name! my sister is convinced that snape is one of the good guys and that dumbledore was encouraging him to do wot he did. What

mom3boys

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 4:33 pm
LOVE IT!!!!
Read them all several times. Not for frum kids, but grown ups, why not.
P.S. I wasn't actually asking why not, so please don't feel the need to lecture Smile

Mrs.Norris

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 4:22 pm
tweety99 wrote:

mrs norris - lol nice choice of a name! my sister is convinced that snape is one of the good guys and that dumbledore was encouraging him to do wot he did. What

ha ha I'm convinced that Snape is good but not that Dumbledore told him what to do ... I have whole theories on it and everything (wow you must think I have A LOT of time on my hands ...).

tweety99

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 5:04 pm
lol ill pm u...!!

shira

Post Mon, Mar 20 2006, 5:11 pm
Please share, Mrs. Norris!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 1:16 am
I didnt read this whole thread. I just didnt want to start yet another harry potter thread. I am behind on times and just read up till and including the 5th book. I find it on the one hand addictive but also depressing!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:21 am
Tila wrote:
We are told not to go in to churches. Why?? Because we maybe influanced to go away frm being a jew. ]

no, because of avoda zara. That's why church turned into museum (or for some, when there is no mass) is ok, and mosquee is ok too.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics