Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Pesach baby food

atlastamom

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:17 pm
what would you feed an 8 1/2 month old on Pesach? now he eats oatmeal with fruit twice a day and chicken soup once a day. I don't know what I will do cuz he loves to eat real food... (as opposed to just bottles) thanks!

Helani

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:23 pm
Fruit and vegetables minus oatmeal (although if you do gebrokts, you could add some matzo meal to thicken it up). Just cook them and mush to consistency you want. Chicken soup is still good.

smile

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:26 pm
I am stuck with breakfast for my 1 year old. Any tips.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:49 pm
eggs
matza farfel mixed with egg and toasted
pesachdik junk cereals
yogurt
or just fruits and veggies for breakfast as well...nothing wrong with a banana Smile

mamacita

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 1:56 pm
We asked a rav who said we could feed our baby the kitnyot kosher l'pesach baby food, like rice cereal. It meant keeping her keilim seperate and washing in the bathroom to keep the kitnyot away from the kitchen, but it meant she could keep eating her cereal. I know people who get told the same thing about formula. It pays to ask.

Otherwise we made lots of scrambled eggs, homemade baked fries, cooked veggies, and she snacked on pieces of matzah.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:00 pm
fab breakfast is a sweet potato, and I think that is one food that has no problem with any sector (no kitniyot, has skin you can peel, you prepare it yourself). I have never in my life given a baby prepared food for Pesach.
I gave yogurt, not milk. Cottage cheese.

And what is wrong with chicken soup for lunch and dinner? Yum.
Onions
Carrots
Potatoes
Zuccini
Turnip (easy to dice into the soup for little fingers to pick up)
Chicken

Baked Apples
Bananas
Pears

I would try to limit the matza intake.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:03 pm
Yeah, better to limit matza. We had a not so good experience last year from my son helping himself Smile

About kitniyos, ask, but I think my rav prefers only it used when really necessary, and I doubt rice cereal is for an 8 month old, but what do I know?

atlastamom

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:15 pm
we don't eat kitniyos or gebrokts, but when I mentioned to my mother-in-law (we're going away with my out-laws) that I may give him the gebrokts cereal, she said it's not necessary he can eat mashed potatoes. well, I am just not thrilled about only potatoes and fruits... I am gonna call the Dr. and ask if I can start giving him yogurts on Pesach. a lot of those vegetables that you mentioned tamiri we don't eat because they didn't have them back in europe so there's no mesorah. (zucchini, turnip, etc.)

Tamiri

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:27 pm
Of all things, check out that turnip. I believe they had LOTS of them back in Europe.
Do not worry about a lot of produce, it's good for him. He doesn't need too much else any day of the year, and certainly one week won't harm him.
So, I ask you: yogurt they DID have in Europe??? Scratching Head

Tamiri

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:29 pm
I would never even ask about kitniyot on Pesach, and I am prob not nearly as careful as some of you. There is SO MUCH to eat... babies have been surviging for thousands of years on Pesach.
And rice cereal... who gives that stuff anyway???

atlastamom

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 2:58 pm
LOL about the yogurt! never really thought about that especially if it's strawberry or peach flavored! anyway, I guess he'll be ok, but it won't be his most nutritious week. there are a lot of vitamins and things added to the baby cereals. (even the organic ones I buy.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 6:14 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I would never even ask about kitniyot on Pesach, and I am prob not nearly as careful as some of you. There is SO MUCH to eat... babies have been surviging for thousands of years on Pesach.

I'm with you here -- but then again I never had a baby on formula who necessitated kitniyos.
And considering my babies did fine without rice cereal year round, Pesach was a non issue.
Since they usually eat fruits and veggies, lots of vitamins there...and once eggs are introduced, that helps too.

mamacita

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 1:40 am
Tamiri wrote:

I do! I use it to thicken soups and purees for extra calories and to make it easier for dd to feed herself. It's like baby oatmeal except dd prefers it to oatmeal.

Last Pesach dd was relatively new to solids so there weren't too many things she could eat, I think she was up to applesauce, rice cereal, peas, carrots, and sweet potato and had relected regular potatoes big time (B"H she eats them now). I didn't ask specifically to use kitnyot since I don't use formula but we went to the rav to ask what things people feed their babies since dd lived off chometz and kitnyot and he said the same thing minus the chometz and peas. Smile Not the answer I expected at all.

B"H this year dd eats everything (but dairy) and ds eats practically nothing so there are no feeding worries!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics