Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tylenol suppositories

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:58 pm
I finally gave my 6 mth old a tylenol suppository. how do I know if I got it in far enough adn how long should it take until its effective? this was 15-20 minutes ago and she's still crying.

challi

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 4:02 pm
if it diesn't pop back out, it should be far enough in. It can take up to 30min, but usually works sooner

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 4:03 pm
once I got it in a bit I used a thermometer to get it all the way in. she was crying hysterically and still is Crying is it possible I hurt her? help, she won't sleep!! she won't even nurse!!

challi

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 4:18 pm
next time coat it a bit with vaseline, it will go in easier. You shouldn't have any resistance when you slip it in, if you do, you are pushing it into the wall, and it could scratch her, but I doubt it would do much harm, since once it gets warmed it gets soft.

myfriends715

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:44 pm
just curious why do u give a supository vs. reg, infant tylenol sorry for my ignoracnce

challi

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 5:56 pm
Its *supposed* to work quicker, but the real plus is that for an infant that doesn't eat solids, or isn't good at it, or is likely to spit it out and refuse to swallow it, it is a foolproof way to make sure they get a full dose. Then when half of the syrup is on your shirt, you don't have to wonder if you give them more, if so how much etc.

I know its fairly common in Israel, and has been for years, but I'm not sure I've seen it in the U.S.

YALT

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:20 pm
actually, my sister gets it imported from Israel. But it's gotta exist here, bec. the doctor in ER gave some to me for DS when he had the flu and couldn't keep down anything.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 6:21 pm
my duaghter puts up such a fight when we give her meds. it takes both of us and she is strong, she refuses to open her mouth and knocks the syringe out of our hands. and then on shbbos projectile vomitted 5 times afterwards, b"H my husband wasn't wearing his suit at the time. but the suppository was also pretty traumatizing, don't kid yourself. my husband was like 'no way am I sticking s/t up her tush! you can do it!'

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 7:54 pm
yes, they sell the med here in the US.
When I was in the drugstore once, I saw it and bought some just in case. It's Fever-All and they have for infant and child.

jemappelle

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:31 pm
you can get it in any drug store in the U.S IIRC, I think it is considered less"stable" than the oral sort. Sometimes it is hard to find the correct dosage but it can be cut. Once its in it "melts". Some people like to use it if they dont want to give the baby the artificial flavoring in tylenol...

Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 9:34 pm
We could never find them in the US so we brought them from Israel. I think they're great because:
no guessing how much Tylenol your baby spit up
it's over quicker than getting them to swallow all that medicine
Even my older kids like it better, suprisingly enough. They say they don't like the taste of "mouth medicine" so they want "tushy medicine". Put it in, over in one second, fever down in half an hour.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:22 pm
I think it's absorbed faster.
when we once went into the doctor with 105.6 fever in my baby (now 3 yrs old - then probably 7 months old), they used the suppository right away!! (boy, we had no wait in the dr's office that time!)

tovasmom

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 10:58 pm
With small children, I would always have a box in the medicine cabinet, either the Fever-All or generic. One of my ds's is a vomiter, and its the only way which I knew that the medicine would stay down, as if you give the tylenol drops, and the baby vomits, I would never feel comfortable giving it again until waiting the four hours and in the mean time the fever would stay high. So the suppositories are safer. Once he got older, there was basically nothing to do for him... Sad

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 11:13 pm
Funny you should talk about this tonight. My 2 1/2 y.o. puts up an awful fuss when getting meds, he spits it out, he throws up, etc. He had temp. Friday night and was up all night crying. at 4 am I couldnt take it anymore and slipped in a suppository. it took a SECOND!!! He then slept til 10:30 am! It's a great thing for kids who dont want to take meds.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 11:18 pm
I use the suppositories a lot bec. my baby spits everything out. Also when she wakes up in the middle of the night crying with fever I just pop one in. Coat with a little vaseline. If you get a prescription from the doctor your insurance may cover it. Mine does-Americhoice. A little off topic, but my entire family-adults-use them on fast days. I can't imagine getting through a fast without my tylenol with caffeine suppository. I learned it rom my mother and loads of my friends are so thankful for this piece of advice.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 4:15 am
difr wrote:
I use the suppositories a lot bec. my baby spits everything out. Also when she wakes up in the middle of the night crying with fever I just pop one in. Coat with a little vaseline. If you get a prescription from the doctor your insurance may cover it. Mine does-Americhoice. A little off topic, but my entire family-adults-use them on fast days. I can't imagine getting through a fast without my tylenol with caffeine suppository. I learned it rom my mother and loads of my friends are so thankful for this piece of advice.

you mean you take caffeine suppositories to avoid the caffeine-withdrawal headaches? what are they called, where do you get them?

Cdlf

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 1:59 pm
Most local brooklyn pharmacies sell them and even advertise them before a fast. I just ask for tylenol w/ caffeine suppositories. I get them without a box bec. they are sold by piece-about $2-$3.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics