Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working on Purim

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 2:45 pm
I work for a frum company and a frum boss. We were told that they aren't paying for Purim if we dont come in.

I don't know what to do!!! We need the money and I just can't imagine working and missing everything with my kids!!!

What do I do?? Sad

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 2:50 pm
I don't see how you can work on urim. unless the sedah is all prepared and your husband takes the kids around.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 2:51 pm
I don't see how I can either. Every year the frum employees got paid. I didn't plan for it this year. I have a wedding tonight... Ohhh I don't know how I'll get this done Sad

shalhevet

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 2:54 pm
I don't remember, but I think it says in the SA that there is no brocho in money earned by working on Purim.

grin

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 3:59 pm
I realize that I may not be quite in your shoes, but it's still hard for me to
understand how one day's pay can break the bank. OTOH, to miss Purim Sad !
I'm only paid by the hour - not only on Purim, but no way I could work that day.

Last edited by grin on Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:00 pm
I understand. With all the extra expenses of Purim, it' s a real hardship. I had years like that; at some point I changed jobs.

Lovemylife

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:11 pm
I teach at a modern orthadox (students aren't religious) and we have school on purim...but I suppose it's different because it is the only excitement the students have for the holiday.

and if I were to take off I'd get docked. that's life.

grin

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:19 pm
come to think of it, when I was a kid, we had school that inc. mikra megilla on Purim, even tho all the kids were frum.

tovasmom

Post Wed, Mar 19 2008, 4:27 pm
DH has always taken the position that there is no bracha resulting in working on Purim so he has always either taken a vacation or personal dy. B"H my firm is closed this year -- Purim AND Good Friday, so nobody wants to work. In previous years when I did not for a frum firm I alsways just took the day off. So one less regular vacation day. Once many years ago dh had a religious boss who offered to bring in seudat purim for the firm if dh came to work and dh said no thank you. He ended up taking a vacation day that year as well.

Marion

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 2:29 am
amother wrote:
I work for a frum company and a frum boss. We were told that they aren't paying for Purim if we dont come in.

I don't know what to do!!! We need the money and I just can't imagine working and missing everything with my kids!!!

What do I do?? Sad

Are you on salary? Take a vacation day if you really need to be home on Purim. Here Friday's not a working day, but Sunday is. DH is not being paid because they are CLOSED for Purim Sunday (Jerusalem), but I have work. Really, how many days can they close? We were told to declare vacation time if we choose not to come in on Sunday. A lot of our employees live outside Jerusalem and have no chiyuvim on Sunday, so it makes sense. Most of the others will come, and just leave early for their seudot.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 3:51 am
I work in financial publishing, and with highly time sensitive work that cannot be done by someone else not Jewish (and I'm not going to ask another Jew to work on Purim for me). I've been given a heter to work on Tisha b'Av, Purim and col ha moed...It really isn't fun and I know that I don't get a bracha for the money I make, but the Rav said I am not doing it to make money but to prevent a loss to the company for the work not being done.

B'h Shushan Purim falls on Sunday (we celeb. on Shushan ) so b'h I dont' have to work on Purim for the first time in two years!

If it is just money, Take the day off! Any money made that day will just be spent on something breaking down or getting lost (we don't benefit from the money)

Take it from someone who has to work most years...If you aren['t working to preserve your job or to prevent a loss, it ain't worth it!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:14 am
Thanks everyone. I don't have or get vacation days. I think I'll be taking the day off unpaid. Its very hard to do when I think that it could pay my phone bill. But I guess you are all right.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:20 am
My husband is teaching half a day at a non frum Jewish school on Purim--- they do megillah reading (he'll go to the early one at shul first to be yotzei), and have a carnival. He'll be home in time for us to go to the seudah- we're invited out. So he won't miss anything--- he'll hear megillah, he'll participate in seudah.

But I'll be home alone with 14 month old twins trying to do Shabbos prep. Smile

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Mar 20 2008, 9:32 am
I have to work also, need all the hours I can get..

My kids get out of school at 12, so I have to leave work at 12 and take them around to deliver..

Kids are all excited...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics