Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Never having a day off

BrachaC

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 9:58 pm
I have recently started working full time and usually end up working Sunday and taking off Wednesday...How do you cope with never having any down time? I was just off Friday for Purim, then had my in-laws and other company for shabbos, and am actually off on Sunday, but I MUST start Pesach cleaning...my plan was to watch a movie tonight, but dH went out and didn't remember the titles I had asked him to get and got a dumb comedy (I had asked for one action or one drama)...Now I am annoyed and he can't understand why. I thnk I am just so overwhelmed with never feeling like I can relax. Any feedback would be appreciated.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 10:01 pm
I get to worki a little early to enjoy coffee....I guard my lunch break religiously with shiurim/manicures/ shopping.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 10:03 pm
um.... I know how you feel

*hugs*

just do the best you can, it's all we can do... I find that I am up earlier or up later to try to get more done..

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 10:12 pm
How tight are you with money/busy on the job? Why don't you arrange a day off each week, or to work shorter hours?

BrachaC

Post Sat, Mar 22 2008, 10:15 pm
thanks for the feedback. CM- I like the idea of working some "me" time into the workday. This past week was so crazy that by the time I grabbed my lunch break it was all of 20 minutes, but this week should be better. Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 9:44 am
If you work downtown I'll be happy to tell you abut the shiurim I've attended.

MMEC123

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 6:52 pm
It's really hard but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Just make sure you have some "me time", even if that means making sure to take a long shower after your kids go to sleep. I feel like I'm constantly in motion- going from work to kids to cleaning to cooking to errands and then there's no time. But it is said that the busiest people get the most done... Once you get into a routine (and I definitely recommend routines to help make sure everything gets done) it all just goes smoothly. Good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 7:42 pm
MMEC123 wrote:
means making sure to take a long shower after your kids go to sleep.

Definitely do what works for you. The years that we had only one bathroom ruined the luxury of long showers for me, but I find plenty to pamper myself with since then.

Like I understand saving money by preparing meals yourself in general, but before Pesach into the budget goes take out food.

Don't make yourself a martyr!

suomynona

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 5:06 am
one word: shabbos

dora

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 5:23 am
I work everyday except Sunday. I don't have off legal holidays, and I work every erev yom-tov, (the day of yom -tov) and isru chag. This year I will work on Friday erev Pesach. I accepted this fact of my life- I dont have to like it but I stopped kvetching about it. I try to make the best of my Sundays not only with chores but also with relaxing.

mimivan

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 5:35 am
I am in the same situation, but I have to work Sunday too (I could do the work on Motzoi Shabbos, but it is going out later and later now)...but I agree.. kvetching makes it worse. It helps to make more out of Shabbos, Motzoi Shabbos, Chagim...etc...and now that Shabbos comes in later, I want to try to spend more time with my kids when I get off work (I.e. that means Shabbos prep on Thurs)...

I find I have to organize "time off" for myself...

BrachaC

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 8:10 am
Thanks for the reminders not to kvetch. Motzoei Shabbos was really just so frustrating, the physical exhaustion from Purim, shabbos, etc.. We bH had such a nice Sunday and cleaned the garage, extra freezer and most of the kids bedroom for Pesach. Tonight dinner is frozen pizza and I will beH finish the bedroom since they couldn't sleep there last night. If all goes well and DH gets home from his meeting in time I am also going to join a gym! It always takes me time to adjust to new schedules, but I usually get there.

mimivan

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 9:23 am
BrachaC...I hope I didn't sound judgmental about kvetching...I like to kvetsch sometimes when it helps..but sometimes it doesn't help me...depends.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics