Home

Is this "goyishe" music?

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report offensive ad

mugsisme

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:30 am       Post subject: Is this "goyishe" music?
I do not allow my kids to listen to goyishe music. They think that if the person singing it is Jewish, or the words are in Hebrew, it is Jewish music, and it is OK. I explained how Elliot Yamin is not frum, and neither are his songs. My other dd googled the translation of some of the Hebrew songs she was listening to, and saw I right on that count.

Now my DD wants to listen to this guy, Gad Elbaz. She said he is frum and his words are about frum things. Yet the rabbis in EY banned his concerts.
Wikipedia says this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gad_Elbaz

So, is he considered goyishe music or Jewish music?

Clarissa

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:48 am       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
Not to nitpick, but I don't think that all music that isn't Jewish is "goyishe." Isn't some music secular without being specifically associated with non-Jews? So maybe you should have three categories of music. Non-frum doesn't mean non-Jewish.

As far as what's been banned, how does anyone keep up? Don't the reasons for the bans count as much as the fact that they were banned? For instance, if someone's concert was banned because it was mixed, does that mean the music is inappropriate for your children?

Sorry I didn't answer your question.

brooklyn

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 9:57 am       Post subject:
So his concerts were banned, if you like the music and the lyrics are clean what is the problem? Hate to say it but the whole banning thing is the chareidi circles sometimes is a bit extreme.

ILOVELIFE

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:01 am       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
What about frum singers who sing to non jewish tunes? I always wondered about that.

Tamiri

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:15 am       Post subject: Re: Is this "goyishe" music?
mugsisme wrote:
Yet the rabbis in EY banned his concerts.
Wikipedia says this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gad_Elbaz

So, is he considered goyishe music or Jewish music?

They banned the MBD and Miami Boys Choir concerts too. You wanna follow those kind of rabbis - ban Gad Elbaz.

chocolate moose

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:25 am       Post subject:
Banning isn't nec. b/c of the music. But mugs, plenty of secular Israeli songs may be Jewish but not waht we want our kids to hear.

"Elef Nishikot" anyone?

imokay

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 11:28 am       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
I think perhaps u need a dif. system of deciding what music is kosher or not. u can have "non jewish" music be more heatfelt and inspiring then some of the "jewish" stuff out there. and then how do u define non jewish? is it the composer, the singer, the melody, the rhythm, etc? it gets complicated....

OldYoung

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 11:28 am       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
Some of Gad Elbaz's songs have nice lyrics but are changed from non-jewish songs.

mugsisme

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:01 pm       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
I have more of an issue of the lyrics. That is what I consider non jewish. Some may disagree, but I don't have a problem with classical music, although technically, it isn't Jewish.

I know that some people do object to Country Yossi, Shlock Rock, etc, because their songs are based on non-Jewish music. (Is that a better way to phrase it?)

How do you decide if a person is kosher for your kids to listen to? I guess that is what I was asking.

Ruchel

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:40 pm       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
I would decide by the lyrics.

"You will have many many children and make successful shidduchim beh", reb. Esther Jungreis

amother

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 12:48 pm       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
A cousin of mine was working with him, to bring him to America on a tour. It seems like he used to be more "non-frum" in his style of music, but recently became more frum and is catering to a more frum crowd. Like he says "Ani Yodeah Zeh Kasheh Lachzor Betshuva" , so give him a chance and see if you like what you see...

Beauty and the Beast

Post Posted: Fri, Mar 28 2008, 2:50 pm       Post subject: re: Is this "goyishe" music?
gad elbaz is one of my favorute singers.
they may have banned him because of his tunes, they are very rocky.
I dont find any of his songs offensive, but then again, I only have his latest cds, so I dont know what his earlier work sounds like.
View previous topic :: View next topic

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1