Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
My master list for pesach
Previous  1  2

ChavieK

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 7:31 am
You can kasher a blender & food processor? I always thought you couldn't

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 7:38 am
ChavieK wrote:
You can kasher a blender & food processor? I always thought you couldn't
I imagine that it depends on which Rav you ask.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 8:51 am
miriamnechama wrote:
yeah over 20 year period you can get bit by bit ...

Well, we couldn't, since we made sedorim and everything. But I didn't get anything non essential in the early years, that's for sure.

miriamnechama wrote:
I've seen many yerushalmi's kashering all their chametz for pesach.. pots, silverware etc...

it's not our minhag to kasher except for sinks and counters.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 30 2008, 8:53 am
Akeres Habayis wrote:
I can't imagine going w/out a food processor,or a hotwater urn..

I know, my food procesor was my very first purchase, years ago. But some families don't have them and manage quite well.

We don't have an urn anymore - the blech is on shabos/yomtov, and chol hamoed we heat up water. an urn is expensive !

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 6:15 am
chocolate moose wrote:
miriamnechama wrote:
yeah over 20 year period you can get bit by bit ...

Well, we couldn't, since we made sedorim and everything. But I didn't get anything non essential in the early years, that's for sure.

miriamnechama wrote:
I've seen many yerushalmi's kashering all their chametz for pesach.. pots, silverware etc...

it's not our minhag to kasher except for sinks and counters.

moose. 1. right now we don't make the seder.. but even non essensials I got bit by bit. so ome year I bought a fleishig set, the next year a milchig set. that's what I do when on a budget.

oh another thing.. I don't believe in cleaning toys... I seel them and buy them some new toy/game for pesach... which will be used duringthe year.

2. it may not be your minhag.. but for tjose who can't afford even pots eg then that's what they do...

catonmylap

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 6:24 am
I can't imagine going without measuring spoons and cups. It would make it so hard to bake!

Some of the items you can get a dollar store (at least in the US), some of them here in Israel too. It doesn't seem like a big deal to buy a set of measuring cups/spoons. In Israel, there is the advantage that there are often good sales on housewares before Pesach(including at the grocery stores; I think all my pesach dishes are from grocery stores.).

I have a pretty large Pesach collection already. I basically have added to it every year that we've made Pesach. Our milich dishes and silverware and a couple other pieces are actually even from when I was still single.

And whenever we need something regular, it always makes sense to buy it before Pesach and use it on Pesach too. Last time we made Pesach (year before last), we bought a set of regular fleshig dishes(as opposed to our shabbos set), it was nice to have them that year for pesach too.

I never heard of kashering food processors and mixers. We do kasher our microwave though.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:08 am
Thanks for the useful list.

I couldn't manage without my food processor. That's probably THE most important utensil I have for Pesach!
I use a hand mixer for cakes. I don't have a hand blender.
I don't have a fleishig oven for Pesach so I make all my meat and chicken on the stovetop. I have a medium size toaster oven in which I bake cakes and kugels.
We don't kasher sinks so I have these horrible sink inserts that make my already small sinks even smaller... (only one week, right?)
I have rinky dink ceramic pots that were a wedding gift (only one week, right?)
I do NOT have a water urn for one Shabbos (this year - 2)
Nonetheless, as the years progress I seem to have more and more ...STUFF accumulated even though I mostly use disposable plates, flatware and containers.

I hope to use your list to help me make sure I have what I need.
Thanks again!

chaylizi

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:14 am
my big purchase for the year is a pesach oven. we don't kasher ovens for pesach. my mother already has one from the first time we went to her for yt- she figured it was an investment that would serve her well over the years.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:28 am
the only thing I'm gonna buy is an electric range simply cus after succos if anyone remembers when my oven went I made the last pesach elecric chamatzdik.. so now I need a new one.

I used it then for 2 months...

imokay

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 6:17 pm
I found an urn indespensible when I was making bottles for my twins....
so e/o has their own needs, wants, must haves, etc....
:-)

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:23 pm
I guess everyone has their priorities. I needed the food processor when I made the seder last year and it's better than my year round one!

The only things I kasher are the sinks, the oven and my pot used for boiling sugar and making tea.

I keep on saying I'm giong to get a chinuk for Pesach but don't. Not sure if I can put a pot with water on if I'm going to be using it to make milchig tea. I wonder if it's okay to put a glass whistling kettle on the blech anyway.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 9:42 pm
I love my eight quart/ten quart pots, those are the right size for quantities of soup, chicken, fish and applesauce. For kugel I have two skillets. for side dishes some three and four quart saucepans.

I have my schmaltz melting pot (one of the last holdouts in my family).
Jars and containers for everything. various sizes, some glass jars with lids for applesauce, chrein, charoses, squeezed orange juice, kugel batter (only the top layer turns black).

I think I need one more pot for fish this year.

large stainless steel bowls for cleansing the romaine lettuce leaves, smaller ones for mixing kugel batter, cleaning chickens, mixing fruit or vegetable salads.

The one thing I do not use is the gorgeous crystal wine bottle someone gave us. The wine is fine in the original bottle.

Pitchers are very useful.

sarahd

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 2:48 pm
Tzena, why don't you use the decanter to adorn your Seder table?

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 5:32 am
Seder night is the only time I use my decanter which I received as a wedding gift!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics