Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Makeup artist

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 3:40 pm
I am looking in to becoming a make up artist. Does anyone have any tips, ideas, etc how to get started? I took a makeup course when I was in seminary about 4 yrs ago.
Thanks!

Maya

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 3:46 pm
The first thing you want to do is familiar yourself with the lastest trends. Subscribe to beauty magazines, check, out websites like Instyle.com and others.

Learn which colors are best for each face, like for fair complexions, red hair or blue/green eyes. Don't do the same look for every person.

Practice on yourself first to try out new looks. Practice a lot on friends and sisters. And only use expensive brands; they last longer and look better.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 9:01 pm
maya, I can personlly attest to the fact that not all expensive brands are neccesarily better. one has to know where to splurge and where they can save. ppl always beg me to tell them which mascara I use, and they are shocked when I tell them its from the drugstore. dont fool urself into beleiving that bec. something was expensive means better quality...

Maya

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 10:19 pm
You're right, I wanted to write that, but didnt' have the time. I believe that foundation definitely needs to be an expensive brand. I used to think that I can get away with cheap eye shadow, but I changed my mind once I realized that the color is off after an hour. The better ones stay on, especially since I got the eyeshadow base.

Mascara is one of those things that cheap ones are perfectly fine. But I do think that most other things need to be a good brand.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 10:32 pm
blush and mascara are the two main things you can get away with.
eyeshadow too, sometimes, depending on the brand. some are waaay too cheapy.

to the amother who wants to become a makeup artist.
this is the advice I have for you.

make sure you feel confident about what you are doing, and start.
I quit my job one day because I wanted to start doing what I love.
the more you do, and get to see diff people and thier faces and skin, the more you learn about different things.
make sure this is what you really want to do, because you will only enjoy it if you are passionate about it.
good luck!

amother

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 11:14 pm
op here
Thank you so much for your responses. I have a couple of questions:
1. I have heard that some make up lines give discounts to makeup artists. Do you know which ones, and will they give me a discount if I do not have a "certificate" and just started doing it on my own?
2. It sounds like both of you do this- did you take any classes, or just started?
3. I use a lot of mac makeup, and that is the brand I will probably go with, do you think this is good? Are there any brands that are better than the rest? Is there any thing else I can buy from Walgreen's besides blush and mascara?
I live in a small town and work part time, so I was thinking about doing this as a side job. since it is a small town, there is no other frum makeup artist that I know of (there are also not too many weddings, but I am hoping that it will still be worth it to start this, because it is something that I really want to do)
Thank you so much

Maya

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 11:28 pm
Actually, I"m not a makeup artist, I just like makeup and all the looks that can be done with it. So I can't answer your last few questions.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sat, Apr 05 2008, 11:32 pm
[quote="amother"]op here
1. I have heard that some make up lines give discounts to makeup artists. Do you know which ones, and will they give me a discount if I do not have a "certificate" and just started doing it on my own?

mac gives discounts, but you do have to show them proof of being a makeup artist. I am not sure, but maybe a business card is enough, I will try to find out.

2. It sounds like both of you do this- did you take any classes, or just started?

I first started, then I took a class or two to brush up on the professional factor.

3. I use a lot of mac makeup, and that is the brand I will probably go with, do you think this is good? Are there any brands that are better than the rest? Is there any thing else I can buy from Walgreen's besides blush and mascara?

I know people who use mac for makeup and they like it. many artsits use it, some dont like it. some just use different things from them. Like a big makeup artist once told me, there is no one good line, there are good things from many lines of makeup, so there are no favorites.

I would start out with using profesional foundation, eyeliner, eyeshadow, and of course skin care.
you can get away with blush, mascara, and lip products.
the lip products are tricky, you have to know what to buy. the more you experience with different things, you see what you like and dont.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:37 am
As far as I know, Mac require more than just a business card - otherwise people would just print cards for the discount. Also, you have to pay to get the discount - it used to be about $50 but might have gone up, so it's only worth it if you're buying a lot of stuff - you're also not allowed to sell it. Not all of their products are all that great - for example, only some of their eyeshadows are good and some are awful.
Many drugstore products are great - especially mascara. Some of the newer foundations are really not bad at all - especially if you're just starting out. When I started, I used mainly drugstore brands and had no complaints, just more referalls. Even some of the newer eyeshadows are really nice - try the l'oreal HIP line. Don't spend a fortune on a big kit - buy basics and add to it as your business builds. If you're planning on doing mainly bridal, don't bother buying lots of different colored eyeshadows - stick to neutrals in warm and cool shades, with a couple of extra colors thrown in - olive, grey, etc. Do invest in good brushes - they really do make a big difference and even if you end up not making this your business, you'll at least have great brushes for yourself!

The best advice I can give you is to practice, practice, practice on anyone and everyone who will allow you to. Even when you think you're good, there's always room for improvement. Do lots of freebies for a while and read lots of makeup books. See if you can assist a local makeup artist for a while. Experience really is the best education you can get. I also second what Beauty and the Beast said - only do this if you LOVE it, otherwise you'll get really tired of it pretty fast. Lots of people are good at and love doing their makeup - that does not mean makeup is the profession for them. Hatzlacha Rabba!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 2:15 am
good post amother!!
wish I knew who u were tho... 8)

MahPitom

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:31 am
You need to take care of yourself first. I know this cool makeup artist who always looks amazing. she’s the one I’d go to if I need to be made up. So do that for yourself first.

Then, start offering your services for ultra cheap and build a clientele. This always works for new businesses – refer my services, and get 50% off! People will kill for $1.50 savings. Finally, when you have a solid customer base, give yourself a company name, and go public with small cheap ads.

downsyndrome

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 11:34 am
MahPitom wrote:
People will kill for $1.50 savings.

You must be kidding! Now I'm afraid of you! Would you kill me for such meager savings?!?! I'm running far......... Confused

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 11:48 am
so make-up artists use the same make-up & brushes on all their clienst - eh ... doesn't sound too sanitary to me ... lucky for me I have natural beauty Mr. Green

GingerSpice

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
op here
I live in a small town and work part time, so I was thinking about doing this as a side job. since it is a small town, there is no other frum makeup artist that I know of (there are also not too many weddings, but I am hoping that it will still be worth it to start this, because it is something that I really want to do)
Thank you so much

MAC has a professional membership http://www.macpro.com .
I completed a course that included makeup artistry so I am going
to get my license soon. I am not sure if you can get the discount without
a license but check the website you may be able to.

I believe there are other companies with discounts but
I don't know which ones. If theres a certain makeup company that
you like why don't you just ask them?

There are also beauty supply stores that you can only shop at if
your a professional that you can get discount supplies.

Also if you took a makeup course before it may not be that hard to get
a license now.

Good Luck!

GingerSpice

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 12:41 pm
greenfire wrote:
so make-up artists use the same make-up & brushes on all their clienst - eh ... doesn't sound too sanitary to me ... lucky for me I have natural beauty Mr. Green

Their supposed to clean the brushes between clients and use a clean/disposable spatula to remove products from contianers.
What they do is another story Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics