Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
We need to get a new stove ASAP - any suggestions?
Previous  1  2

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 3:36 am
lucky wrote:

I like the idea about shutting off the electricity to the stove for yom tov.

Actually we shut the switch before Shabbos, but I was wondering what I would do for YomTov, because shutting the electronic ignition makes it easier to light a burner (from an existing flame) without having to be careful not to let it spark.

OTOH, then the oven will not work at all, because somehow, the thermostat, which controls the cycling on and off is electronic. So that would mean I don't have use of the oven for YomTov.

However, my oven shuts itself off after 12 hours, so use is minimal anyway. Those 12 hours do come in handy though, if I didn't finish all my cooking or baking before YomTov.(bearing in mind of course that we may not cook for the 2nd day on the first day.)

buba123

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 12:26 pm
My MIL has a Thermador oven (expensive) which is great. It's totally gas. No electric displays.
My husband wants to buy a new cheap oven - no displays (time, degrees,self-clean) - this way you can adjust the oven temp. on Yom Tov.

Did you call Drimmers on Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn? They have many salespeople that are frum and deal with Jewish customers all over the Tri-State region. I redid my kitchen a year ago and bought my appliances there. Not only do they have the largest selection - their prices are great too!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 10:20 am
buba123 wrote:
Did you call Drimmers on Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn? They have many salespeople that are frum and deal with Jewish customers all over the Tri-State region. I redid my kitchen a year ago and bought my appliances there. Not only do they have the largest selection - their prices are great too!

actually my range comes from Drimmers, but a good while back. Lots of great new options are available now, and I can't wait till my stove finally gives up ( it's been doing that in many stages) so I can be entitled to a new one. Wink

shoy18

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 10:38 am
my mother has one of the yomtov ovens and my father being a very handy person installed a switch to shut the electic starter without messing with anything else, you can turn on and off the burners on yomtov because the only way to light them is if you use a candle or a match, so she uses a big yartzeiht candle its great bec she is so scared to leave them on,
one yom tov night one of our neighbors the wife and baby went to a neighbor while the rest of the family was at shul and when she came home and opened the door the house literally exploded, bec the flame went out and the house filled with gas and from openeing the door the house exploded into flames you have to be soo careful if you have a window in the kitchen leave it a drop open even in the winter!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen