Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
New neighbors are driving me crazy!

Ima2

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 9:45 pm
We just moved into this new apt on a ground floor. A few weeks later a new family moved in above us with 2 older kids. They make so much noise I can't stand it! It sounds like they literally are jumping off the couch or bed and thumping on the ground! Not to mention that my 7 month old is very sensitive to noise and they've woken her up a few times. They also have a dog that they let out on their balcony and he barks at around 8pm when my dd goes to sleep. They're not Jewish (they're black) and I'm afraid of making a chilul Hashem by telling them how noisy they are and asking them to be more quiet. I'm at my wits end with the thudding around and screaming- I hear them all the time! I also cringe b/c I am always afraid that they're going to wake up my baby! What should I do?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 10:12 pm
ah ... never live underneath anybody ... somehow it is always noisy - even when they are not noisy - floors creak - people walk you hear every step ... carpeting helps - some apartments require that ... see if you could ask for some sympathy around baby's naptime ... not sure what more one can do ...

Clarissa

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 10:16 pm
Over time, you may adjust. I remember being upset when a musician moved in next door. Over time I not only got used to the music, I started to like it. Now I'm glad he's here, as he's a nice guy and a good neighbor. It's just apartment living. Right now I can hear his tv, and it doesn't bother me. We have a child above who is really noisy. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't. Stop thinking about it, in a few weeks their noise may just become part of the ambient sound of your building.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 23 2008, 11:49 pm
you can ask them politely to try to have their dog quiet when your baby's going to sleep. no chillul hashem involved. they're probably reasonable people. ask them if they could either arrange to have the dog inside at eight or if there's a time in the evening when they know the dog will be indoors. tell them you don't want to impose on them, you just need to have a schedule for your baby. don't worry, the baby will get used to the other noises.

faigie

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 11:07 am
worst case, u can speak to the management.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 11:34 am
faigie wrote:
worst case, u can speak to the management.

I would not recommend getting the management involved until you try to work this out on your own. They may feel threatened by the "management" especially if the building has a reasonable percentage of Orthodox families--you don't want to start a big deal.
They are likely to understand about your baby needing to sleep since they have their own kids.
Also, does the building have any regulations about having noisy pets? Officially there are no pets allowed in my building which basically means that a new person moving in cannot have a pet--you have some time to "hide" it but they cannot take your pet away from you. Lately, the coop board has been sending out letters to all the residents with warnings about keeping your pets quiet, etc.

Ima2

Post Mon, Mar 24 2008, 9:32 pm
I have spoken to them "by accident". We saw them outside and we introduced ourselves to them. They had no idea that pple lived underneath them--they were told that no one lived there by the management (they must have gotten us confused with the apt across the way). They were very apologetic and asked if they made a lot of noise. I politely said that we would appreciate it if they were more quiet when in the room on top of where my baby sleeps. They have been doing better, but I guess I need to give them some time. I really hope it gets better! They told e that if they are too noisy that I need to tell them right away--I don't know if I could bring myself to actually knock on their door and say, could you be more quiet please!

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 9:05 am
See, it all works out in the end...

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 27 2008, 10:13 am
at least now you know you have the option ... save it for the bad times ... they sound fairly reasonable which is a good thing ...

amother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 12:13 pm
what was the point of mentioning they were black????I'm glad things are working for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette