Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Checking out our apt
Previous  1  2

Hannah!

Post Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:53 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamacita

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 5:07 am
It's hard to have LL problems. Fortunately for you, the way I phrased my original response makes up for the fact that your LL is inconsiderate of you because he'll be thinking of himself, and you are telling him something that's good for him, not mentioning what you want (although it's the same).

He doesn't care that it's inconvenient or rude, but he would sure care if it was something that might affect the sale. Stress that part of it. Hatzlacha!

catonmylap

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 5:35 am
That is so incredibly awful.

We had such a hard time keeping things neat when we were selling our house, but we were selling, (and we didn't have a baby yet who is constantly making a mess). We would be going crazy if it was us and screaming........though I'm not sure if we would have the guts to put our foot down. At most we'd have the guts to leave our house as messy as usual.

You need to set some limits....a minimum amount of notice and an maximum number of views in a week.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 6:33 am
breslov wrote:
Unfortunately they're calling my husband to tell them that they're on the way, and he doesnt have the heart to say "No, you can't come".

I totally understand how you feel as I've been in that situation before. But it is better to just call your landlord and tell him he must tell all intrested buyers to make a time with you beforehand and not to call when they are on the way. That is not appropiate no matter how inconsiderate your landlord is. You should not have to drop everything and have that stress on your head whenever you get a call. If he doesn't do it after you tell him that then you have to tell the buyers sorry, but I'm just not available at the moment, you'll have to come another time. Sorry you are on the way already but I did ask Mr X for any buyers to arrange with me beforehand not last minute.

Hope that all made sense.
Its really up to you, can can control the situation.
I personally would never put up with people doing that. Our home privacy is a big deal for me.

Seraph

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 7:02 am
peach wrote:
breslov wrote:
Akeres Habayis wrote:
if u make the beds (throw a blanket on ea bed)before them coming no one will know what your status is.I think what helps make decisions for people is the master bedroom,I couldnt' imagine not looking at it.
but again u can decided when they can look at it

It really depends how you make it. I have twin beddings for nidda and king size for not, so ur advice isnt so simple...

But they don't know that. I mean they'll know if they see king size linen, but if its twin separate, they wont know if thats how you always keep it.

Point being, I dont want to have to change my linens if I'm in a tahor period.

My husband told me that the landlord actually said that my husband can turn down potential buyers if nows not a good time, but its against my husbands nature to do that, and then he informs me afterwords that people are coming in 15 mins. (The other day what happened is someone called a few days prior, my husband said to call a little closer to the timem, so they called 10 minutes away.)

And regarding needing to see the master bedroom before making the decision to buy or not- the master bedroom has nothing special in it. Its exactly like the other bedroom, same size, same shape, no closets, just bare wall, no bathroom attached, the only diff is the master bedroom has no door off it leading to the porch. So honestly, the masterbedroom isnt much to look at.

What annoys me is its not like people are looking at this once- they're looking at it all the time, and no one is buying it anyhow, because its overpriced, a bad location, legal issues regarding its status, not available at least for another half a year...

Another reason why it bothers me when they come is because it stresses me out that maybe they might buy it and we wont be able to renew our lease for next year. There are very few apartments available to rent here, and most of them are much more money and not in a location that we like, so when people come to check it out I stress out about maybe it'll be sold and we'll have to move... and we dont have the money, and it would be really hard to find an apartment, etc... So theres an emotional thing behind it all anyhow.
I want to buy this apartment, I just don't have the money for a down payment...

Why is he listing the apartment? Because he wouldn't mind selling it, but hes not in a rush to either, so its listed and if someone wants to buy it, he'll sell, but he knows we're happy in the apartment.

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 12:02 pm
Sorry, but even if you think the MBR is nothing special, buyers want to see it! What if there's a gaping hole in the ceiling? What if there's mold growing up the walls? People don't buy major purchases sight un-seen (uh, for the most part)!

peach

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 1:33 pm
613 wrote:
Sorry, but even if you think the MBR is nothing special, buyers want to see it! What if there's a gaping hole in the ceiling? What if there's mold growing up the walls? People don't buy major purchases sight un-seen (uh, for the most part)!

I agree with that. Its one thing if they're going to be renting, but being that they are considering buying it, which is a big purchase, they really do need to see every room. When you buy I'yh, you'll understand.

Of course that's not to say that its not difficult, inconvenient, and frustrating for you.

mama-star

Post Thu, Apr 03 2008, 8:43 pm
breslov, I'm sorry you are going through this. the one thing I can say is that you need to have set appointments for these visits, and you shouldn't be forced to show your apt. whenever ppl just want to drop by. maybe you could set up a schedule with your landlord?

just to tell you, I'm on the other side of the equation. we're looking to buy right now, and I always feel TOTALLY weird looking at the master bedroom. but it really is a necessity, unfortunately. I know it is a sacred space and I try to keep that in mind. I feel awkward, in general, going to look at houses when ppl are still living there, I feel like I am invading their space. (kal v'chomer, the master bedroom!)

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 6:16 am
I guess part of my issue is that I thought if people were serioisly considering an apt, theyd come back to see it again... in which case I'd for sure show them the master bedroom... but these people arent serious, this is just one on the big list of places they're checking out, so I dont feel that its so imp to show it.

Are you saying, those of you that bought, that you just looked at an apt once and then you bought it?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 9:53 am
You are NOT a realtor and do NOT have to show the house without the owner being there, at a time which is convenient for you!!! You don't have to answer questions.
If you check in the lease, I think there is a clause which refers to when the landlord can visit and under what terms (notice given etc.).
Don't be a shmatta.

mama-star

Post Fri, Apr 04 2008, 10:14 am
I have been in contract to buy after only seeing a house once, so yes, it can happen that way.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 6:44 am
BUMP.

Why are YOU responsible for showing the house? You did not respond to that part. Why don't you tell the ba'al habayit what days/times can be made convenient, and let him show his own house?

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 6:57 am
Listen to Tamiri. She is SMART!

(Tamiri, you can send the check for this commercial to the usual account number...)

Seraph

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 7:13 am
I dunno. Thats how its done here in israel, no?
And I actually like showing them the apt- I tell all the terrible stuff about it that the landlord probably wouldnt mention, or would mention biased. (I answer biased but in the other direction.)

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 7:19 am
Breslov. Listen to Friedasima... she's smart.

But seriously, why in the world would you take such an imposition upon yourself. Selling a house is hard and yucky work (been there, done that). It can make you crazy. Since it's not your house, why should you bother? You stand to gain nothing. There are "lookie-loos" who like to yenteva and see every apartment on the market. There are creepy people who slither about your belongings. When you are the seller and doing FSBO (for sale by owner), then you have to go through all this. You do it because you stand to save the realtor's fees so you are willing to bear the hassle. When you have a realtor, the realtor sends you out of the house during a "showing" and that is what you pay for in the end - someone else selling the house and doing the showing.
You are not either: seller or Realtor. If it does not stipulate in your contract that you have to do showings - then you don't. Standard contracts stipulate when the landlord can come to view his property, and that should cover showings as well. So you have to decide "how it's done in Israel". It's really only up to you. I think that most die-hard Israelis would feel like fryerim if they had to do what you are doing.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 4:48 am
Told you Tamiri was smart!

Seriously though, don't let anyone railroad over you with this issue. You and your family come first, you can be "nice" to any potential buyer, but you are getting out of that house in any case so there is a limit to how much you have to put into selling it, it's not yours! You don't get any commission!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette