Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Question about the Purple Lubab Cookbook (Spice and Spirit)

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 1:35 pm
I have the original Spice and Spirit cookbook - the one that has the yellow cover.

Is the purple cookbook a different one altogether or is it an updated one?

I'm asking because it's probably my most useful cookbook and I'm so tempted to get the purple one but it's way expensive (169 shekels) and I would hate to wind up with two of the same!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 1:43 pm
It's a completely different book, both Pesach and the year round cookbook.

Yes, they're both expensive.

chaylizi

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 1:44 pm
do they still sell the original- I bought the purple b/c I thought it was the new edition.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 1:46 pm
I'm gonna have to get someone to buy it for me.....

Does the purple one have a Pesach section too?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:03 pm
There are two Purple cookbooks. One is for Pesach, softcover, about $22, and the hard cover one for the rest of year - no Pesach recipes included - which must cost at least $35 now.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:05 pm
I have the original hardcover purple cookbook, and, I have a thin paperback S & S Pesach cookbook.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:15 pm
I bought the purple one probably 20 years ago and it was not cheap back then. I remember saving for it, maybe $25 or $29.99. something like that. So 169 shekels is not so bad.
How old is the yellow one?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:18 pm
Old. At least 20 years old if not more.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:41 pm
What don't I do for my friends:
My copy is from 1990 - so I guess less than 20 years. I guess I did not have enough money for it 20 years ago. Anyway, it says:

"The all-new Spice and Spirit is a completely rewritten and updated sequel to the original Spice and Spirit of Kosher-Jewish Cooking, published in 1977. It reflects contemporary interest in lighter and more healthful eating as well as today's wide availability of kosher products and services. The Spice and Spirit series, which also includes The Spice and Spirit of Kosher-Passover Cooking, has in a little more than a decade become the clasic guide to kosher cooking and Jewish holiday observance, with over 100,000 copies sold to date".

"This book represents the outgrowth of our original cookbook, The Spice and Spirit of Kosher-Jewish Cooking, which met with overwhelming success. After producing fourteen printings and selling 60,000 copies of the oriinal book, we are excited to offer a band-new cookbook, Spice and Spirit: The Complete Kosher Jewish Cookbook. It is the latest addition to our series of publications, Kosher Living Classics".

And the price on it is $28.95. From many years ago, even if it wasn't 20. I for sure got it before 1994.

mommy24

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:49 pm
If you are talking about the purple soft covered spice and spirit cook book for Pesach I would definately get it. I had the yellow S & S cookbook for Pesach, a few years ago I got a purple covered (soft covered) one. It has about 230 pages and was printed in 2003, I think. I don't remember how many pages the yellow one had, but hte newer one is definately thicker.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 3:34 pm
Oh gosh. You people are certainly whetting my appetite here!
I saw the purple one in a bookstore yesterday but it was shrinkwrapped so that I couldn't get a peek inside!!! I didn't notice if it had another softcover book for Pesach with it. I think it didn't.

Now I reeeeeeally want it. Bounce

yo'ma

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 4:15 pm
The 2 things I wanted when I got married, almost 11 yrs ago, was a kitchen aid and the purple spice and spirit. I got both. From so much usage, the cover is gone along w/ the index starting with h. My new sil never even heard of it and when she was by my parents house she started to copy a whole bunch of the recipes down. My mother told her that she'll just buy it for her. It's great, but I think since I started here, I haven't really used it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics