Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Freezing Fried Onions

A.D.A.P.T.

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:08 pm
Has anyone ever fried up a bunch of onions and then frozen them? Do they taste the same? How do you wrap them - in Ziploc bags, aluminum foil?

abismommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:10 pm
plastic cups covered in ziploc bags in the freezer. the taste? I usually add them to foods so I never noticed a major difference, but it saves a LOt of time!

A.D.A.P.T.

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:12 pm
Thank You!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:15 pm
I have also done this successfully.

girliesmommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 2:27 pm
Works fine. A little mushy, but if you're adding it to something, nobody will ever know!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:31 pm
its a great idea, it adds taste to every food and if u have em in the freezer then u save time

yummydd

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:03 pm
Its excellent and timesaving!
You put them in plastic bags, freeze them ad use them in anything they taste the same!

supermommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:13 pm
you can freeze them in ice cube trays and then pop em out into ziploc bags for easy measurement.

ArthurDent

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:21 pm
Another timesaver: Crock Pot Carmelized Onions

Throw 3 lbs of sliced onions, 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter, and 1 teaspoon of salt into your crockpot. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Leave it overnight and wake in the morning to an amazing smell.

Depending upon your crockpot, you might need to adjust the cooking time. You can always cook on high to speed up cooking.

Squash

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:40 pm
fried onions is the first thing I cook for pesach. this morning I fried 3 bags of oinions. put a couple of spoons in a sandwich bag and freeze. I add it to almost everything I cook during pesach.

mom7270

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 7:52 pm
it does get mushy though, no? I fried onions and the froze them and when I added it to the oil it added water and made it mushy

louche

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 5:18 pm
All the time, in whatever's handy--ziplok bags or platic containers. I prefer containers b/c sometimes the bags leak before the onions are fully frozen. So far for pesach I fried and froze about 6 lbs of onions--not as much as it sounds like b/c the shrinkage is unbelievable. It goes in everything except dessert. When desperate, I even serve fried onions with salt & pepper as a snack or vegetable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics