Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Pesach sponge cake
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 9:04 pm
10 eggs separated into 2 bowls

in white add:

1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

whip

in yellow add:

1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup potatoe starch
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup (walnut) oil
juice of 1/2 lemon

mix

fold together gently with spatula - put into 2 9" aluminum pans - then bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr

nutty variation ... add to yellow 1/2 6 oz package ground almonds before folding ... bake same and serve with jam

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 8:35 pm
does it taste eggy ?

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:51 am
this is my basic sponge cake - the same one I add the nutso to ...

I also use the nutty one on a thin cookie sheet and layer it with apricot jam - and coat top with melted chocolate chips ...

Imawoman

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 11:54 am
That's a lot of eggs!

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 12:44 pm
that's pesach for you ... and even a non-pesach sponge cake would take a lot of eggs ... Idea

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 10:46 am
fyi

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 9:21 pm
for those looking to bake

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 9:50 pm
in case you bake early

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:02 pm
it's that time of year

Zeleze

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 2:52 pm
Given up years ago, always flops for me

mfb

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:14 pm
I use
9 eggs
Don't remember how much sugar and oil, but I add in lemon juice from half a lemon and approx. 1/4 cup sweet red wine.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 5:25 pm
Zeleze wrote:

I've given up on pesach brownies - they always come out horrible - too hard too dry too weird

perhaps you need patience in the whipping of the whites & some guidance ... always use clean dry bowls & beaters & whip till the whites are so stiff it sticks to the beaters & you could turn over the bowl

iyar

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:34 pm
Zeleze wrote:

Do you want to try again?
If so, do what greenfire said- beat the whites a little until foamy, then gradually add the sugar while beating and beat until they're stiff and you can turn over bowl and they won't fall out.
Beat yolks until very thick, a few minutes on high.
Buy yourself a little sifter. When adding starch, sift it bit by bit into the beating yolks so it won't clump. If you mix it in like that, you won't end up with a cake that separates into two layers, one of scrambled eggs and one of starchy glue.
Fold the two batters: the snow made of beaten whites and the thick yolk batter, with a big rubber spatula, gently and patiently.
Good luck.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:49 am
Zeleze wrote:

okay ~ as I was baking & whipping up my whites I thought about where you could possibly go wrong ... it's a common mistake

the whites whip & look creamy and you might think they're ready ... but they must be whipped & whipped until very stiff peaks form or else the bottom starts to get flat cause the air bubbles pop ... so whip it good - whip it real good !!!

the second part is to FOLD not mix the batter - this all takes time & patience

Laiya

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 1:02 pm
iyar wrote:
Do you want to try again?
If so, do what greenfire said- beat the whites a little until foamy, then gradually add the sugar while beating and beat until they're stiff and you can turn over bowl and they won't fall out.
Beat yolks until very thick, a few minutes on high.
Buy yourself a little sifter. When adding starch, sift it bit by bit into the beating yolks so it won't clump. If you mix it in like that, you won't end up with a cake that separates into two layers, one of scrambled eggs and one of starchy glue.
Fold the two batters: the snow made of beaten whites and the thick yolk batter, with a big rubber spatula, gently and patiently.
Good luck.

Thanks for this post! My pesach sponge cakes always separate into two layers of scrambled eggs! shock
Will try this method

iyar

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 1:40 pm
Laiya wrote:
Thanks for this post! My pesach sponge cakes always separate into two layers of scrambled eggs! shock
Will try this method

Good luck!!!
Let us know how delicious it was!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 2:07 pm
so tried & true I timed whipping process to 12 minutes with an electric hand mixer

fyi ~ it's in the whipping with a very dry clean bowl for the whites - I always mix in the sugar & vanilla & I've been baking since I'm 8 years old aka 46 years

then I mix the yellows with all the added ingredients [save the nuts which I add after] till the yellow is a creamy soft yellow colour

another process is to first take some whipped white & fold it into the beat yellows to temper/soften/lighten the mixture so it's easier to fold into the white [since the yellow is always much heavier than the cloudy white fluff]

once that is done you can begin to fold yellow into white - do so with about 1/3 of the yellows added to the white at a time until fully incorporated

Laiya

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 3:55 pm
iyar wrote:
Good luck!!!
Let us know how delicious it was!

I followed all the tips in this thread and it came out perfect--gone before shabbos was over! Ty Smile

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 6:18 pm
Laiya wrote:
I followed all the tips in this thread and it came out perfect--gone before shabbos was over! Ty Smile

great !!! Tongue Out

lovingmother

Post Tue, Apr 02 2019, 6:12 pm
Has anyone frozen this cake?
Also, how long does it last, meaning, how many meals can it be served at until it goes dry?
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics