Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
So stressed out...(babysitting sitch)

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:57 pm
Please no bashing, this is the last thing I need right now...

I am expecting our second child in couple months be"H, and currently I am out of the house 10 hours a day. I am sharing a babysitter now, but by the time this baby will be born IY"H both my son and the other kid the babysitter is watching will be going to daycare and the babysitter wants a raise if I want to keep her and she doesn't want 2 kids any more, she says it's too hard for her. We cheshboned out that if we keep this babysitter and pay for the daycare for our son we will be paying over $1,300 a month!!!! it's just crazy. I trust this babysitter but she doesn't get along with my husband that well (when he comes home bein hasedorim for lunch etc) and things are a little edgy between them. He said we should just let her go and daven that we find somebody else [it's really not easy to find someone in our area]. She told me she needs to know this week in order to make plans for next year in case she needs to look for another job. I am scared to let her go but I don't want to commit to paying so much, in case I am able to find something better/cheaper in the next few months AND my husband said he doesn;t want her to baby sit anymore.

I guess there is no advice anybody can give me, I don't want to share where I am etc just venting about how stressed I am ... Crying Crying

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:10 pm
can you send your son to daycare only part time? that will make it cheaper.Assuming she doesn't mind having 2 kids some of the time.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 1:14 pm
Thank you for responding. Actually daycare is MUCH cheaper because we are part of the community kollel and only have to pay $300/month as opposed to the babysitter who is currently charging $6.50/hr and wants at least $7/hr....(so we would be paying over $300/WEEK)

Ima2

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 5:48 pm
We had the same situation-kind of. I was also out of the house about 10 hours a day in school. But we paid our babysitter $8/hr! We were paying like 370/week! It was crazy, but the daycare near by had a waiting list so long dd wouldn't have gotten in even if we registered her before she was born! Daycare IS soooomuch cheaper, I know. So why not go with daycare? It's always nice to have a private babysitter, but if your husband doesn't get along with her, and she doesn't want to watch 2 kids, you wouldn't want someone working for you taking care of your kids if they're upset and don't want to be working! Put both your baby and your son in daycare. In one trip you can pick them both up. Plus, when you're kids are at home with a babysitter, they are using your resources, food, electricity, heat/air conditioning. You may be happier with the daycare after all!

BinahYeteirah

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 6:13 pm
I'm guessing the daycare doesn't take babies.

Hmm...

newmom

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:16 pm
Wow! $7 bucks where I live is unheard of. It's more $10-$12 range.

Anyway, you should find a new sitter who will watch both children at home. It's easier when you are hiring to say that it's for 2 kids, then having one and adding another to the existing sitter.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:26 pm
hmmm..what about sending the newborn to a sitter, if u send to someone good who only has like 3-4 kids then she charges about $5 an hour. your boy can go pt to daycare and rest at sitter, he wont be bored bec other kids with be there

amother

Post Thu, May 01 2008, 10:11 am
BinahYeteirah wrote:
I'm guessing the daycare doesn't take babies.

Hmm...

Exactly, the daycare takes 2-year olds and up. I don't mind my son going there, I actually think he would do well with other kids etc. The "problem" is the baby....

anuta

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 6:41 am
in my area $1300/month for two kids is very cheap; you can't even find the daycare AND babysitter for that much, even a babysitter alone..

If your husband doesn't like the babysitter, look for a new one. You have time. I think its a good enough reason to fire her, especially that it sounds to me like you are not thrilled with her either. And keep in mind, she will have to watch two kids sometimes, because when your son starts daycare, he'll be sick often, and have to stay home, and you said she doesn't want two; so it sounds like it will not work out anyway.

If you want to save money, you can skip the daycare and find a babysitter for 2 kids. If I were you I would skip daycare with a newborn in the house, I would't want all that daycare bugs for the first few months of the baby's life...

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 6:45 am
If you can afford, of course having both at home is better!

Now, some daycares don't agree to part time. You pay full time even if the kid isn't there!

amother

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 6:52 am
anuta wrote:
in my area $1300/month for two kids is very cheap; you can't even find the daycare AND babysitter for that much, even a babysitter alone..

If your husband doesn't like the babysitter, look for a new one. You have time. I think its a good enough reason to fire her, especially that it sounds to me like you are not thrilled with her either. And keep in mind, she will have to watch two kids sometimes, because when your son starts daycare, he'll be sick often, and have to stay home, and you said she doesn't want two; so it sounds like it will not work out anyway.

If you want to save money, you can skip the daycare and find a babysitter for 2 kids. If I were you I would skip daycare with a newborn in the house, I would't want all that daycare bugs for the first few months of the baby's life...

Daycare is definitely cheaper than babysitter...But you did bring up some good points, thank you! Especially that my husband not liking her being a good reason to fire her. I am having a hard time with his attitude. I think it's somewhat selfish of him to fire her just because she annoys him - it's only an hour or so a day that he has to deal with her and in the end it will be my headache to find a babysitter to replace her you know? Her personality annoys me somewhat also, but when I leave my son with her I don't worry at all, I know she takes wonderful care of him. It's not easy to find that.

I am speaking to my boss today IY"H to see if I can work out being out of the house shorter hours, though I doubt the company would go for that...

anuta

Post Fri, May 02 2008, 7:44 am
[quote="amother
Daycare is definitely cheaper than babysitter...But you did bring up some good points, thank you! Especially that my husband not liking her being a good reason to fire her. I am having a hard time with his attitude. I think it's somewhat selfish of him to fire her just because she annoys him - it's only an hour or so a day that he has to deal with her and in the end it will be my headache to find a babysitter to replace her you know? Her personality annoys me somewhat also, but when I leave my son with her I don't worry at all, I know she takes wonderful care of him. It's not easy to find that.

...[/quote]

But you said that you will have to pay for a babysitter and daycare at the same time, because the baby won't be in daycare... I don't think the babysitter for 2 costs more than for 1; you pay by the hour anyway, so in this case you can save money if you don't put your son in daycare.

About not liking the babysitter - when it comes to your children, I think every little thing matters; I mean if one of you doesn't like her without a seemingly good reason, this is your intuition telling you that she is not good for your kids. Its one thing if you love her and are willing to overlook some things you don't like, minor things, like she is not too neat, etc.... But to me, not liking the person is the hugest thing. Its the father's / mother's instinct. I always have my husband meet potential babysitters, and I really trust his feeling on them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics