Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Shechita job?leads anyone?

amother

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 12:49 pm
Dh is looking for a job shechting chickens or to learn how to shecht large animals. Does anyone have any leads?

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 12:53 pm
I know someone who lives in scranton who does it (chickens). If you want more info, pm me. If you're in Israel, I'm also sure I can find out a place to learn for large animals. My fil has israeli shochtim all the time come work for him.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:31 pm
you can pm me and I can give yhou some leads on who to talk to. bear in mind it's very hard, dirty work, and it might mean being out of town for a long stretch.

grin

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:37 pm
yo'ma wrote:
If you're in Israel, I'm also sure I can find out a place to learn for large animals.

don't be so sure - those shechting animals pay dues for the privilege and have protektzia.
yo'ma wrote:
My fil has israeli shochtim all the time come work for him.

That's because there's so little work for them here in Israel now! (People can't afford to eat chicken as much as they used to.) My dh is a shoichet, at present overseas.

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 1:46 pm
grin wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
If you're in Israel, I'm also sure I can find out a place to learn for large animals.

don't be so sure - those shechting animals pay dues for the privilege and have protektzia.
yo'ma wrote:
My fil has israeli shochtim all the time come work for him.

That's because there's so little work for them here in Israel now! (People can't afford to eat chicken as much as they used to.) My dh is a shoichet, at present overseas.

They come to him b/c that's the only way they'll buy the meat with that hechsher. (makes sense?) It's a lousy job for them (nice pay though) being away from their family for 4 months a yr. The mashgichim also come and their pay is worse, but easier work.
Did your dh ever come here, Argentina, to work?

amother

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 2:47 pm
Sooo.... How does someone get started in shchita in the US?

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 2:59 pm
I thought there is a shlachthoiz in iowa- postville or some such place (I think it's rubashkin). most of the us meat comes from the midwest. I also have a cousin who moved to toronto when her husband decided to become a shoichet. I also have a cousin in mosey who is learning to be a shoichet- but I don't know if he is doing large animals or not- so I can't tell you.

Squash

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 3:01 pm
my father was a shochet for many years. he shechted behaimos as well as chickens/turkey

it's not the greatest job, being away from home from shabbos to shabbos.

my dh's grandfather actually asked his kids in his will not to become shochtim because it usually entails being away from the family for extended periods of time.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 5:33 pm
they do a lot of shechita where I live. The shochtim come from Israel and spend 6 weeks at a time shechting cows, and then go home. They are quite literally in the midddle of nowhere. There is another shechita place that the shochtim come from closer by, so they go home for Shabbos.

I know in iowa there is a community of shochtim.

CHANY115

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 10:22 pm
I know there is a place in monroe ny where they do shcita and there is a place in williamsburg who also does shechting chickens and turkey but I thing they have there people already.
the butcher in monroe is under satmar and the butcher in williamsburg in on flushing avenue, I went there for kaporas because I was in willi and I found out that they shect there 4 days a week and people can come watch or make kosher there own chichen. there name is cohns live poultry on 467 flushing ave. I can find out there number if you would like. im not from williamsburg maybe someone on this site can know more about this nice butcher. people love to shop there becuase yeht are reliable and shecht there on the premises.

amother

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 10:53 pm
We are lubavitch. DH doesn't mind working for non-lubavitch

Squash

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 10:57 pm
my father shechted for empire for years. maybe your dh should call them? although I did hear they were slowly going under....... wonder if that's true.

amother

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 11:02 pm
Good idea! Where are they based?

mom of girls

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 11:05 pm
on ave u there is a butcher shop that is looking for a mashgiach and someone to cut meat. is this somekind of job your dh is looking for?

Squash

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Good idea! Where are they based?

pennsylvania. they have a sortr of motel where the shochtim sleep all week.

I'm sure you can find their number on the web.

micki

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 11:10 pm
please pm me.
I have a lead for you and not all that is said here is true but I don't want to go into too much detail for fear I shall reveal myself!
you will have to pm me though.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 12:20 am
MOO - got cows ?!?!?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics