Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Special diet Shabbos menu ideas?

mom21n2

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 2:34 pm
Help! Vegetarian dietician coming for Shabbos. What can I serve?? (Remember, DH only eats chicken soup and shwarma.)

ChossidMom

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 3:57 pm
My mom always used to make this delicious winter squash kugel. Big hit. Basically, you cook up a big piece of pumpkin/winter squash, mash and drain. Add eggs, vanilla, cinammon and sweetner of some kind. Bake it and yumm. Similar to sweet potato kugel.

You could also make a good broccoli kugel or zucchini kugel.

If you meant what can you serve for a main course, I'm stumped.
How about Peanut butter and jelly... or Majadra - lentils and rice.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:00 pm
I made AMAZING pareve chili - everyone thought it was fleishig with that fake meat. If you want the recipe, let me know. It's totally healthy and delicious! I always make it when we have veggies over.

mom21n2

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:02 pm
yes yes, please post the recipe for veggie chili

Also, does the squash kugel work with frozen squash

What about for Day meals ( we usually do not have meat but most of what we eat is full of oil)

ChossidMom

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:25 pm
I never saw frozen squash. I'm sure it would. Just make sure you drain off as much water as you can. It was always a big hit with our guests. You can do the same with sweet potato but the squash is a bit more dietetic.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, May 05 2008, 4:41 pm
Ok veggie chili - in the crockpot - chopped onions on bottom, add (I mix it in another bowl first if I'm feeling really industrious) 1 large can of diced tomatoes, 1 envelope of boil in bag rice w/o the bag Smile, 1/2 package of the "meat" that crumbles - you can use the whole one if you have a lot of people, some tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder and water.

Put it on low or "keep warm" it's already all cooked.

mom21n2

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 11:24 am
Mimisinger, is the fake meat that crumbly tofu in the fridge section, or is there something else in the freezer section (like the fake breakfast meat)?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus