Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What happened to mentchlichkeit?

Love My Babes

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:00 pm
I was in a store this week and the guy in front of me in line was paying. His bill was like $74. So He takes out a wad of bills, hands the lady a 50 and a 20, and says "it's ok!" shock shock she says no, 4 dollars. so he gives her the 4 dollars.

where does this come from?????????? its not like he opened his wallet and didnt have enough, or hid so she could not see what was in it. he openly took out a wad of bills but was just not in the mood of paying?? im shocked! what happened to chillul Hashem? do ppl think others owe them something? What u buy something, u pay for it. its too expensive? noone is making u shop in their store.

I just can get over it.

cassandra

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:02 pm
That's really weird. The man is either mentally unstable or from a country where you bargain for everything. I don't think it is a lack of mentchlichkeit.

yummydd

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:02 pm
Maybe he didnt realize it was 74 so he took out 70 and asked is this okay like is this the bill?
you haveto be dan lekaf zechus!

Love My Babes

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:04 pm
no. u can tell he knew what it was. if u want to bargain, theres a way to do it, not when the woman is holding her hand out for money.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:05 pm
maybe he is a generous man and he gives a discount in the store he works or owns?

cassandra

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:05 pm
I just don't think that one individual who exhibits bizarre behavior warrants a thread titled "what happened to mentchlichkeit?" I would argue that 99.9% of people in this country pay the total.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:09 pm
I was living in a horrible apt. The landlord finally got someone to come and fix it. They had a deal, to do this, it costs x. Well, the job was done and the "frum" landlord says, that's he's not paying it all, it's too much!!!! Chutzpah! So, what can the guy do? Either get less or go to court? So, he took less, but of course, he said he will not work for him again, unless he's paid up front. It's totally a cultural thing imo. And a chutzpadik thing!

freidasima

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:20 pm
Strange behaviour!

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 8:45 pm
I've worked in retail and I've seen that before, but not for $4 shock . What about people who have "only one thing" and go in front of you w/o asking. It's happened to me here. When I lived in the states, they at least ask, but then they pick up this and that and pay with a $100 bill for a $5 purchase.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 9:50 pm
In response to the title of this thread I would like to answer: 'it's in der erd'. Period.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 9:51 pm
I once bought hosiery for $149.10. I didnt have ten cents, the cashier told me to bring in the next time I come
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette