Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Disturbed that I don't feel disturbed

mama-star

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:16 pm
ok, the terrible cyclone in myanmar and now this earthquake in china. BAD NEWS! but what upsets me the most is that I am not totally disturbed by both events. Sad sometimes when I hear bad news in eretz yisroel I literally start to cry. these people are G-d's creations, why am I not devastated by their loss? it's thousands of people!!!

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:39 pm
Because you have no connection with these people. You know how you go somewhere, like an amusement park (not during chol hamoed and not near a jewish neighborhood Very Happy ) and you see a jew, you give a double look to see if you know them and feel some sort of connection. Or when you travel where they don't speak english and hear people speaking english, you feel a connection. Same thing, but on a completely different level.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:39 pm
I heard a speech that hypothesized that there are so many tragic things happening today that we are practically anesthetized to tragedy. this is why there can be a bombing in e"y (lo aleinu) & we say nebach (pause) can you please pass the cereal. if we want to see how we should react- read some stories about how the gedolim reportedly reacted to the mercaz harav attack. yeshiva world has some & I found them very inspiring if totally not on my level of conducting myself (unfortunately)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:51 pm
Because you have your own busy life and could possibly be burned out by what you personally have to deal with. It doesn't make you a bad person.

louche

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 1:58 pm
Unless you've seen the devastation with your own eyes or have some personal connection to the disaster, like having visited the area once upon a time, or having a friend or relative who's from there, it's abstract and not really real to you. You feel bad intellectually but have nothing on which to base a true emotional involvement. And the sheer numbers also make things less real. It's easier to relate to the tragedy of a single family than to the spectre of tens or hundrends of thousands dead, missing or homeless.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Could you cope with the pain if you got genuinely emotionally involved with every tragedy you ever heard about?

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:01 pm
A woman, 70 years old, was killed today by a Kassam rocket which fell on the house she was visiting for the day.
Do you feel anything?

louche

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:04 pm
Tamiri wrote:
A woman, 70 years old, was killed today by a Kassam rocket which fell on the house she was visiting for the day.
Do you feel anything?

Yes, there's a little pinch in the vicinity of the center of my chest. Then again, that could be angina.

Tamiri

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:06 pm
LOL Louch, but is it DISTURBING you?
Perhaps in small doses, we can get more disturbed.
Here is Israel we are so used to it. We just look at the news article, make sure it was no one we knew, and move on.
It's harder to move on when it's someone you know, like the Mercaz Massacre.

Last edited by Tamiri on Mon, May 12 2008, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

louche

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:15 pm
tamiri, you live every day in apparent serenity in the face of situations that those who don't live there would find totally crazy-making.

the body and mind can take only so much fight-or-flight before breaking down entirely, so after a while you tune out most of what goes on. It's like living in a big noisy city vs. living in the sticks. When you first come to the city you jump at every siren. After awhile, when your mom comes to visit, she asks nervously "what's that siren?" and you say "what siren?" You don't even hear it any more, it's become part of the background. You only hear it if it passes your unconscious filters, e.g. it's a different siren from the one you normally hear, or is accompanied by your roommate screaming.

same thing. you tune out most of the horrors b/c it's the only way you can stay sane.

chaylizi

Post Mon, May 12 2008, 3:18 pm
Tamiri wrote:
LOL Louch, but is it DISTURBING you?
Perhaps in small doses, we can get more disturbed.
Here is Israel we are so used to it. We just look at the news article, make sure it was no one we knew, and move on.
It's harder to move on when it's someone you know, like the Mercaz Massacre.

it is disturbing. yes I do feel a twinge when I hear about loss of life that is totally tragic. unfortunately it wasn't as disturbing as when I heard about the sbarro bombing. my unfortunate reaction was- omg I walked by that corner every single day during sem, I could have been there! I'm not saying it's not wrong & I shouldn't work on myself, but it is human nature.

red sea

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 2:13 pm
I hear what you are saying mamastar - or the opposite of you - pple who feel so bad from the tragedies that it ruins their perfectly good days - What is supposed to be a healthy balance between caring for people and not letting all the tragedies in the world take over your life? I really wonder where the good medium is.

Motek

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 4:05 pm
Yet as Jews who know that everything that happens in the world happens for our sake, we ought to be thinking about what this has to do with us.

this thread about New Orleans discussed this point:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....58913
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics