Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Parental Support
Previous  1  2  3

How much support do you get from parents/grandparents?
$0  
 27%  [ 19 ]
A $ gift for Birthday or Holiday  
 42%  [ 29 ]
Rent paid every month  
 4%  [ 3 ]
$5,000 - 10,000 yr.  
 2%  [ 2 ]
10,000 - 20,000  
 22%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 68

gryp

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:42 am
OP, why not ask your grandparents for some help if you need it? That seems to be where the cash flow is coming from. Wink

My grandparents send small amounts of money to each of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren for birthdays and anniversaries. KA"H that's probably about a hundred now at least (I'm talking first-cousins). So once in a while we'll get a few checks for $10 for each of my kids birthdays or $30 or $50 for one of our birthdays or our anniversary.
So it's about $100 a year, G-d bless them.
The absolutely hysterical thing about it is that my grandfather would forget who he sent to and who he didn't so for a few years I would keep getting a check from him saying "Happy Birthday- sorry I missed it" like 5 months after my birthday or even a month or so before it came around again. I told him he gave me multiple times and he didn't seem to mind. But it's pretty much a joke in the family that he does this to everyone. And he really doesn't have a lot of money to send, Hashem should bless him with as much as he wants.
I thanked him numerous times for sending for our special occasions and hinted that he doesn't have to, since I know he really doesn't have a lot. But it's his way of showing that he remembers each and every single one of his offspring so I can't refuse. I just wish I had a really good way of thanking my grandparents besides just a thank you note which is getting a bit repetitive.

Tamiri

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:45 am
GR wrote:
I just wish I had a really good way of thanking my grandparents besides just a thank you note which is getting a bit repetitive.

You are thanking them by having children - can you imagine a bigger thank you? Is there anything more they would want? I am not being mushy: they established a dynasty and you are making it grow.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:45 am
amother wrote:
Op

I really dont expect anything from my parents. it just seems everyone I know gets some sort of $ support, even though they make a good living.

I don't get any monetary support from my parents. Most people I know don't get any support either. And if they do, it's none of my business. Everyone has different circumstances and just because other people get something, it doesn't automatically mean that everyone is entitled to the same thing.

gryp

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:48 am
Tamiri wrote:
GR wrote:
I just wish I had a really good way of thanking my grandparents besides just a thank you note which is getting a bit repetitive.

You are thanking them by having children - can you imagine a bigger thank you? Is there anything more they would want? I am not being mushy: they established a dynasty and you are making it grow.

I know Tamiri, it's just that we don't see them that often and I feel bad about the whole thing. It's also hard for me to watch them as they get older.

(off-topic, sorry OP.)

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 7:52 am
Teacup9 wrote:
both my siblings were given cars and though I would never ask I can't help but wonder why I wasn't given a car... .

maybe they could afford to give a car before and by the time it was your "turn" they couldn't afford it. maybe they decided after the fact that giving a car is a mistake and they didn't want to make the same mistake again.

My uncle had a standard wedding gift that he gave all the nieces and nephews for many years. I was the last to get married, and by then either he didn't have the same kind of money he had before, or the price had gone up so much he could no longer afford it. I didn't have to wonder and I didn't resent it. IMO he didn't owe me a wedding gift at all, and whatever he gave was icing.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics