Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What foods bring back bad thoughts/memories?
Previous  1  2

YALT

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 6:57 am
Mushrooms!
It's a family thing, that most of us won't touch it. My father came up with this excuse - "we try to stay away from fungus - & you think you'll make me EAT it?!?"

Well, a few months after I got married, I decided that if I make it into a soup, maybe I can teach myself to like it the way I now like other veges. So I bought a package of mushrooms to make into soup the next day.
Well, the soup didn't happen. I woke up the next morning in alot of pain. The best the dr.s could name it - a FUNGUS!
Just from the thoughts of having it!

(Finally, 3 years later I psyched myself into trying to make it again. I wasn't impressed. I couldn't get it down. So I'll never touch a mushroom again!)

Mimisinger

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 8:19 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
A certain type of Crackers!!! Mad Do I have to explain?

(ok not really bad memories, actually good memories, but just looking at them makes me nauseaus!!!)

Maybe she meant matzoh? What

As for me, I can't eat those cheese filled bourekas from the tachana. One motzei shabbos we got these cheese bourekas that tasted a bit off - I thought it was just being a different type of Israeli cheese. Well, we both had MAJOR food poisoning. This was about the same time I found out I was pregnant. I called my mom crying and she said, you're probably preg. I said no (I hadn't found out yet) and then called back an hour later when dh started throwing up. Unless we're both pregnant...

Oh and Burgers Bar. Dh got DYSENTARY! It was horrible. Meanwhile, he ate there afterwards, but I refused. I was the one who had to deal with him being so sick. It was horrible!

shmeichel

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 8:36 am
sesame seeds-I was almost addicted and ate them for like a week straight with barely any food between...a nd then threw up and all I tasted in my mouth was sesame seeds-now just looking at it makes me naseous;(((

mimivan

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:39 am
shmeichel wrote:
sesame seeds-I was almost addicted and ate them for like a week straight with barely any food between...a nd then threw up and all I tasted in my mouth was sesame seeds-now just looking at it makes me naseous;(((

ugh...reminds me of a friend of mine in school who told me her sister ate carrots until her skin turned yellow...

Yikes!

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:45 am
curry from a certain resturant. Puke

don't like going there anymore.. used to love it

DH and I both got sick from it, but he can eat there now.

shopaholic

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 10:22 am
Dried papaya. I loved it until I was about 8 & my younger sister threw it up. That was it for me.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 11:07 am
Seaweed and Fungus soup- really yummy chinese soup but I had a terrible fight started by it, so I cant...

Cheese and mustard sandwiches- I lived off of them for a month in sleep away camp and now the thought makes me want to puke.

I went to this certain restaurant in my 4th month and it tasted so gross. I'm not sure if the food was bad or if it was my nausea, but I'm scared to go back there.

mumoo

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 3:26 pm
mimivan wrote:
a certain brand of ginger ale.
I was about 8 years old. Once when I was at my grandparents and had strep throat, my mother gave me a glass of this stuff from a bottle labeled ginger ale and told me to drink all of it. She was having a heated discussion with her sister and didn't appreciate being interupted. I took a taste, and the stuff tasted like a cross between wine and vinegar.

I said "Mom! This isn't ginger ale!"
exasperated partly from the heated discussion and partly by my interruptin the heated discussion she said "Drink it down NOW...All of it and I don't want to hear more complaints!"

Well I drank it down and stumbled around until I passed out.

Turned out my grandparents were making homemade wine and put the contents in ginger ale bottles Drunken Smile

My poor mother felt so guilty... Crying LOL

oy mimivan! I'm horrified (and hysterical) at the same time
just this past Pesach, at our out of town friends, 5 yr dd wanted water. I told her my cup was on the counter. Who knew someone left a cup of vinegar there as well? For the rest of the week all I heard was, "Right, Ma, right vinegar is not water?

chaylizi

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 3:38 pm
breslov wrote:
Seaweed and Fungus soup- really yummy chinese soup but I had a terrible fight started by it, so I cant...

MAYBE I could eat that if you changed the name before I heard it in connection to what I was eating, but I have my doubts

shoy18

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 3:57 pm
chew chews, those little square taffys that used to come in packages of 5 like gum. when I was in 3rd grade I ate one and drooled all over my shirt and had to wear a sweater the whole day and it was soooooo hot!!

Seraph

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 5:20 am
chaylizi wrote:
breslov wrote:

MAYBE I could eat that if you changed the name before I heard it in connection to what I was eating, but I have my doubts

lol funny. my mother once had guests over who downed it. and after their third bowl, she told them the name. they all refused to eat another bite.

its a chinese soup with a chicken stokc and soy base, with seaweed- quite yummy and in sushi, and tree ears- a type of yummy mushrooms. often with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.

my husband doesnt like it though so I havent made it in a while.

cookielady

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 5:30 am
When I was little and visiting my grandparents, on the table was what looked like a bowl of cranberry sauce. so I took a big helping and yuck, it was beets. My grandfather insisted since I took it, I had to eat it.
It took me about 25 years to try beats again!

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 5:32 am
mayonaise sandwiches!!ugh ugh
mimivan,I would have milked it for all its worth LOL LOL
I will never eat brusselsprouts,I thought my parents were the only nones made u sit there and eat it until its gone,our dog brandy,would not sit under the table when we would have them,she didnt like them either!!!
also cod liver oil,castor oil

Ima'la

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 5:32 am
chaylizi wrote:
my mommy used to cut hot dogs into our split pea soup- it was yummy.

are you my sister?

p'cha. I'll taste anything - even something that looks like, well, like that - worse comes to worse, I'll take a drink and not eat any more. I tasted an eensy weensy piece - and no amount of water and challah could make that taste go away.

greentiger

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 6:17 am
For years just the smell of vinigar would make my back tingle becuase my mother used to pour it on our heads after a bath to keep the lice out.

Ima'la

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:07 am
Another sister!

I still don't usually care for vinegar-y foods!

Lilkingdom

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:08 am
I can't drink gingerale or Fresca.

I used to drink it during my first trimester and was very nauseas then. Every time I see the bottle, I feel like throwing up!

mimivan

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:33 am
Akeres Habayis wrote:
mayonaise sandwiches!!ugh ugh
mimivan,I would have milked it for all its worth LOL LOL
I will never eat brusselsprouts,I thought my parents were the only nones made u sit there and eat it until its gone,our dog brandy,would not sit under the table when we would have them,she didnt like them either!!!
also cod liver oil,castor oil

Yeah, I should have reminded my mother for years about the time she made me get drunk...but she felt so bad I didn't dare... LOL

Oh, I used to love Brussel sprouts...I used to pretend I was the Jolly green giant biting the heads off of evil little people (those things look like miniature heads)

Now those are probably two things about me ya'll probably didn't need to know LOL

wif

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 6:43 am
breslov wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
breslov wrote:

lol funny. my mother once had guests over who downed it. and after their third bowl, she told them the name. they all refused to eat another bite.

its a chinese soup with a chicken stokc and soy base, with seaweed- quite yummy and in sushi, and tree ears- a type of yummy mushrooms. often with bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.

my husband doesnt like it though so I havent made it in a while.

Recipe, please? And where do you get specialized mushrooms in Israel? I once made seven onion soup here, made out of--seven white onions. Didn't quite taste the same.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics