Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Postville immigrants arrested
Previous  1  2

cindy324

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 10:50 pm
Quote:
That's not an excuse, it's the problem. Without illegal workers employers would have to pay more and give decent working conditions; with them, they can get away with almost anything.

You're right, it's a vicious cycle, but it's a fact of life. As long as there are illegals around, there will always be cheap labor.

mumoo

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 11:25 pm
cindy324 wrote:
Yes, it's a chillul hashem, but how is it different from all the other ICE raids on other factories, plants all over the country? It's not like people could say, it's ONLY the Jews.

I totally agree with your whole post, Cindy- including he part of how we must assume the company did its hishtadlus in checking citizenship-but I think that the one bolded part sounds like a bad excuse. We all cringe when a Jewish name gets bad press. Likewise, all the other non jews also see us as standouts- for better or worse. After all, we are the or lagoyim.

Asking how its different sounds like a child saying, "Well, everyone else did it." My answer to that is, "You are not everyone else." So is it with Yidden; we are held (as it should be) to a much higher standard.

cindy324

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:10 pm
Of course it's not an excuse, it's just that these raids are so common in the past few months, that another factory raid by ICE shouldn't even raise an eyebrow.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics