Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What should I do (babysitter ?)

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:38 pm
I work FT out of the house the whole day. Since my baby has been about 3 months I've had this one babysitter watching him -and a few months later another baby. Now both of our babies are BH old enough to go to daycare (which will be much cheaper). Around the same time I am be"H expecting our second. (who she will be watching after I go back to work). My babysitter practically lives off the money she makes from watching my son - she has foodstamps and Medicaid but her other bills are paid by this money (cash of course). I will be home with this baby BE"H for about 12 weeks and I am really not intersted in having her watch my son then, for a few reasons:

1) I don't want her in my house while I am there (and she is not frum, so she can't take him to her house)
2) We really can't afford to pay her - as it is the second 6 weeks I will be home will be unpaid for me.
3) My son will be at day care for part of the day

When I mentioned to her something to the effect of letting her go for about 2 months she seemed unhappy which I understand - she needs the money. But is it my responsibility to keep her/pay her? Please let me know what you think. I also don't want to lose her but we already agreed for next year for her to watch the baby, so I hope she won't back out now......I am lost as to what to do/how to present this to her....

cassandra

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:42 pm
If you don't want to pay her then you have to let her decide whether she wants to continue working for you even though she won't get paid for two months or find another job.

You can't tell her that you can't pay her and expect her to stick around.

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:51 pm
You have to either pay her or support her decision if she wants to get another job. You can't put someone on hold, unpaid.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:54 pm
Well, either continue to pay her/use her services (maybe she can do other things for you out of the house?)

OR (and this still is up to her and a risk to take)

Give her explicit dates you don't need her, and when you will want her back, and offer her a slight raise if she returns.

OR

Do you know someone else who would use her (and not keep her) for that time period and maintain her income? Or at least cover so much of it and you'll make up the rest to ensure you'll have her when you need her back? (cut your losses at least if you have maintain her pay by having someone else eat it in part?)

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:00 pm
Thank you for your replies.

We already agreed on next year AND she is already getting a raise. Do you think I should just say it straight out - I don't need you for these 2 months, if you'd like to get another job, you can but we would love to have you back.... Confused I really don't have the extra money to pay her (and to pay for the daycare for part of the day) and she wouldn't do things around the house that was the agreement from the get-go.....

Classicookie

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 1:03 pm
you can try to find someone else for her to watch for those 2 months maybe in your home or if someone needs her temperately I have seen post of luach for these type of things
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics