Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Has pregnancy/childbirth affected your brain?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Do you think pregnancy/childbirth affected your brain?
Yes, I'm not as smart as I used to be.  
 64%  [ 48 ]
No, I'm the same as I always was.  
 18%  [ 14 ]
I'm smarter than ever! :)  
 16%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 74

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 5:06 am
I heard from a local rebetzen (who BTW has 12 kids k"h) that for every baby, you lose 10% of your residual memory.

I also seem to have lost a lot of my maths skills. I was (trying!) to help my husband with some accounts last week - forget it! and as for helping my kids with their maths homework - well so long as I can sit there with my calculator hidden in my skirt, I'll be okay Rolling Eyes

LikeMeDoes

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 10:57 am
I definitely find that my memory ain't what it used to be. even in every day speech, I often fumble for words. At the end of my last pregnancy, I used to joke to DH that my memory isn't even like a sieve anymore, it's more like a funnel!

Also, I find that I can't concentrate well on intellectual topics. That could be mainly due to sleepless nights! Prob is, by the time those end, there'll be other reasons why I can't concentrate anymore! Like... old age!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 11:03 am
It is horrible. I can totally see it when I'm doing a test or paper for university. It takes a lot longer and the quality has kind of decreased Crying
I used to be able to sit and start writing pages and pages, and now it just doesn't come...

I pray I will become normal again when I have my baby. I fear I'll never be able to write my thesis and complete that d*rn master. I'm supposed to start the interviews in NY this summer and I'm not even motivated. Confused

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 18 2007, 11:13 am
The rebbetzin's comment is Rolling Eyes Not particularly encouraging to young mothers, is it ...

I know a mother of eight (age 36) with a 7 month old who has helped her 9th grader with math this year. Just opened the math book and got right back into it.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 2:39 am
ok, I have a problem.
I used to be able to enjoy Intellectual stuff.
now I am happy to remember my own name.
Has anyone else suffered from pregnancy brain, and then later with mommy brain, and find it gets worse with time?
do u find ur mind fuzzy, and coupled with hardly any sleep, you cannot say things straight?

I posted this in intellectual stuff so that I can feel a little better about myself, that I am actually in this section. Twisted Evil

mimivan

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 2:47 am
Yes!
I posted about this in the weekly menus section. I couldn't even remember to boil chick peas!

I need lists...b'h I have a few projects that keep my brain functioning...it is so important...use it or lose it, as they say. It is essential to make brain time, even if only 20 minutes a day.

I forget things...pregnant brain combined with two little ones means forgetting my keys, leaving things turned on, walking into a room and not knowing why I went there...dumb behaviors..

I find I sometimes have major sensory overload and feel impatient more often than I used to. When my two boys are running around, I'm rushing to finish dinner, and they are tearing apart the apartment, I must take a few seconds to breath and disconnect or I will become a screaming mimi...

I wonder why Hashem gives us funky hormones, pregnant brain, and sensory overload when have to take care of little ones. I say to Hashem sometimes "I can understand why you are giving me the tikkun...but please have mercy on my children! Why do they have to have a crazy mom?" LOL

A sense of humor helps...otherwise, I'd have to take three kinds of pills LOL

Thanks for starting this thread, Beauty!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 12:21 pm
I was wondering where my thread went to... I was getting scared this mommy brain is really starting to get to me.... Rolling Eyes

mama-star

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 3:59 pm
you must be assuming I have a brain at this point to answer these questions...

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 4:14 pm
It's more memory by me. This week I forgot my grandmothers number lock on her front door and also my good friend's cell number. I am miserable about it. I used to have a great memory, also I used to have a great memory, lol.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 5:44 pm
I still have a very heightened sense of smell and taste. I can now taste when someone uses soup mix in their soup (used to make me nautious).
Just call me supertaster!

chaylizi

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 6:56 pm
I seriously cannot string together a coherent sentence lately. it is really very sad

mamacita

Post Sat, May 17 2008, 4:40 pm
What was the question?

Seriously, I have to search for words, can't listen when dh wants to share an interesting idea he learned, sometimes I can't even read some of the bits in mishpacha (which while enjoyable is easy reading compared to some of the things I used to read).
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics