Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Tehillim-only if you know the person??

sunshine!

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 10:14 pm
I wonder why some people are of the attitude that if they cannot access all the information or identifying details about a person needing a refuah, they cannot say tehillim. I find that it is completely unnecessary for me personally to know anything about the person, other than the fact that they need rachamei shamayim. We have such a power when we pray, why question the cause? I truly hope that if ever I needed people to daven for me, there would be people out there who care enough about a fellow yid, to do so, without a thought as to who I am, or if I deserve the tefillos said.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:52 am
I usually only say tehillim for people I know. I'm sorry if it's rude, but I don't see it that way. I think things have gotten out of hand with all the tehillim lists and mass emails. It's scary because they're usually not updated so then you might still be praying for a refuah for someone that's dead or had a complete recovery. I feel like it's not a good segulah for someone that's fully recovered to be on tehillim lists.

When my DH was sick, I specifically told people not to email his name around. I didn't want people to be davening for him to get well after he was healed.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:02 pm
alternatively, you can just say tehillim the once.

sunshine!

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:07 pm
If someone posted on IMAMOTHER that someone desperately needs our tefillos, why was it so hard for her to get a handful of women together to complete sefer tehillim? There are close to 4000 women on this forum. In fact, there were some people who replied that they needed the "scoop" first. The who, why, where, etc.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:16 pm
It could be because people see such requests from so many people on a daily basis. . . and you just can't do it for everyone. Therefore, people only do it for people they know. Because if you're going to say tehillim for every random internet person, you're going to be busy for a long time.

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 3:54 pm
I will say anyones name. but like to know what to ask for, otherwise Im not quite sure what to say- but now that you wrote rachamei shamayim, that is exactly what I need to say. I'll say that from now on.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 4:47 pm
I say tehillim even for people I don't know. The chain text messages I got or emails arent always accurate so I say that it should go for whoever needs a yeshua.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 7:17 pm
what defy said.

If I see a request for tehillim then I say it, if there is a name provided then even better and then I move on.

I don't keep saying it for a person unless I'm updated. Why? for the same reason outlined above. Often we aren't updated when the person either recovers or lo aleinu... and I'm not going to go on indefinitely saying tehillim for everyone I hear about.
I have a number of people I say tehillim for on a regular basis that I know about.

Tehilla

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 7:23 pm
I say Tehillim for a lot of people regularly, and others when I think of it, and still others on the spot as I see the request.

I can't always commit myself to saying regularly, so if it's an on-the-spot request, I try to really put a lot of extra kavana into it to make it very special. (not that I don't do that with my 'regulars' but you hopefully know what I mean).

and if I'm really unable to even do that, I whisper a quick prayer to Hashem.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 7:52 pm
one small kapital like shir lamaalos or lamnatzeah takes about 30 seconds to a minute ...

if someone makes a request while another is actually in a dire situation I.e. surgery in the moment I feel the need to complete a "chain" to give the choleh a zechus in the moment ... the power of prayer is all we have ...

does one really need to know if another is in a hospital gown ... wearing a tichel ... how many wires and machines one is hooked up to ... in order to daven ... are we not frum women who have a connection ... a reason to daven ... the ability ... there are 3915 women here !!!

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 7:57 pm
Quote:
does one really need to know if another is in a hospital gown ... wearing a tichel ... how many wires and machines one is hooked up to ... in order to daven ... are we not frum women who have a connection ... a reason to daven ... the ability ... there are 3915 women here !!!

has anyone really ever asked those questions? Confused

montrealmommy

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 9:29 pm
I was advised to only say Tehillim for people who I either a) knew (even if indirectly) or b) was told the general matzav (what am I davening for). I only say tehillim as long as I know they are "needed" for a person. I admire those who can have the kavana and make the time to say tehillim whenever asked, but I dont' think it's rude to not do so.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 9:37 pm
EstiS wrote:
Quote:

has anyone really ever asked those questions? Confused

the unfortunate answer is yes ... but you missed that thread ... was deleted shock shock shock

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 11:10 pm
I think I read the thread you are talking about but I don't recall any such posts.

marina

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 6:36 am
I say tehillim only for people whom I know personally, irl.
Otherwise, it is just a combination of names to me and my prayer becomes meaningless. Rochel bas chana Leah, leah bas chana rochel, chana bas leah rochel, Leah rochel bas chana.

suomynona

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 6:40 am
I once heard there's no inyan to daven for someone you don't know. Sorry, I don't remember the source.
I imagine it doesn't apply to well known situation where you don't actually know the person, but like Marina says, where it's just a combination of names to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette