Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working part time

Emee

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 2:52 pm
My baby will be 18 months int he fall and I am planning to return to work part time. I was at first planning to work 5 days a week 10-2 and then someone mentioned the idea of working 2.5 days a week. Now I can't figure out which is a better option. Any thoughts or ideas? I woudl really like some discussion on the pros and cons of each.

veteranmom

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 5:28 pm
You have to factor in travel time and babysitter. If it takes a long time to travel, then 2 1/2 days is better than 5 short days. Some babysitters prefer whole days and some prefer half days (so that your child is gone, before theirs returns home from school).

I used to work 3 full days and now do 3 full days in the office and one at home.

Bhatzlacha

gold21

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 6:05 pm
I think I would prefer 5 half days. Then you have a set schedule. Its better than having the child nap one day here, one day there, etc. Though I am not totally sure.

costanza

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 6:08 pm
I would personally choose the 2 full day option. Then you know those days are devoted to working and you can plan your errands and activites for your child on your off days. It will also make preparing for Shabbos easier. If you have the option of choosing, I would work early in the week and leave the end of the week to be home. If you work every day, even though you will have time when you are not working, it takes time to get out of work mode and mentally it is more tiring to shift from work to home.

Emee

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 10:14 pm
Thanks for the advice...I am leaning towards 2 full kdays but I have to work friday mornings which is not great but either way I have to do it.

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 26 2008, 10:16 pm
I like the working a few days a week fully and other half of the week you will have for yourself. You can work like monday and wed so they are interspersed and you dont feel like you are working too much. The other days you have for shopping, organizing, and chilling with your ds.

Pizza

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 7:45 am
I personally prefer working a few hours each day; thats assuming its not a big commute; I find its easier on the baby's scheule and on the nursing. I think its more of a personality thing.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics