Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Childminding in my house..some questions..

MommyEsty

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 6:10 pm
I am thinking of doing childminding in my house because I need to work for the extra money and I really dont want to leave my babies so I think its the best option for now.
has any one done this before?
I have 2 kids and I think I would take 3 more at one time..tops. does that make sence?

I have the space and toys.
how much is normal to charge per- hour?
has anyone done this and how has it been?

thanks

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 6:44 pm
Hey Esty!
Can I be your first customer? I can provide all 3 kids!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

MahPitom

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 6:46 pm
In the USA it's usually $4 - $5 per hour, more if they don't bring food and diapers.

MommyEsty

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 6:51 pm
mummy-bh what do you think of the idea? funny, you could provide my whole little clientele:)

do you know how much people charge around here?

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:01 pm
I think it's a great idea. shame you live so far from me!

Actually, there is a lady in our community who does this, but I think only for teachers of the girls' school (I don't want to post her name here....) She could give you lots of info, I'm sure.
She's actually OFSTED registered, and I called her a couple of weeks ago to see if I could leave my kids with her whilst I had an appointment for an hour or so. She apologised, said she'd love to help but she wasn't allowed legally to take my 3 girlies!!! LOL

Ask her for some advice, it's not like you'd be poaching her customers at all so don't worry.
(PM me if you have no idea who I'm talking about!)

When you get started out, you have to decide in advance what age kids you will take. That makes a huge difference.

No idea at all how much to charge, I only get a sitter about once every year or so anyway!

MommyEsty

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:07 pm
yeah I know who you mean.. thanks .
I would like to be registered if I decide to do it properly so ill talk to her about what it entails..

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:10 pm
Hatzlocha! Let me know when you get off the ground.

dewyt

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 7:20 pm
I did it in my home for a while and LOVED IT. I got to stay home with my son, and the friends he needed came to him! I only took two every day and one sometimes kid, but sometimes ppl called me for a one off and it was fine, I could manage three or four but wouldnt take more. I charged $5 an hr located in brooklyn. any other q's? btw you probably wont get to go OUT of the house much, but u can wear comfy clothes all day!

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 10:54 pm
be sure once you are legal that you get your forms and systems and schedules in place before accepting clients. The most professional home daycares here can immediately hand out their handbook, enrollment form, meds authorization, child release form, daily report form, and prove that their food program is with the usda food program, yada yada. Don't forget to get daycare liability insurance in place first too.

And honestly, I wouldn't charge by the hour. A typical rate for a home daycare in my state is $155 per week for infants, $145 a week for toddlers, $135 for 3 year olds. (I know the gal who runs kreativekidscare.com)

If you're BABYSITTING (an hour here or an hour there)..... in my opinion it's not a BUSINESS and people don't expect to be able to take a tax deduction for their payments to you, etc, and you can charge $6 to $10 an hour or so. But once you're contracting kids for ALL DAY EVERY DAY..... and you are legal as a business and you are putting in lots of time scheduling and setting contracts and that sort of thing and you become licensed to accept a certain number of kids, you could/should charge by the week. Just my opinion!

A web presence is helpful for advertising once you're up and running so potential parents can view photos, etc.

If I ever leave my current field, I might consider doing this--- I'm going to MISS my babies when they grow up.

But the reason I know a little about this now is because I considered sending my twins part time to a home day care. I decided I'd rather have a babysitter come to us for a couple hours here and there and I'd be there 100%..... but for a lot of parents this is a great option.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2008, 8:05 am
I did it for awhile and found it very draining. my own children got very overwhelmed and jealous of the new kids in their home space. I was only watching 2 other kids, and it was too much for me with my own 2 kids.

I know someone else who was watching only a baby (along with her own kids) and she also found it very draining and overwhelming.

on the other hand, I know a woman in my neighborhood who regularly does it and she's really happy with it, and she watches lots of little ones at different intervals of the day. it's a very good source of parnossa for her.

so I guess it goes to show, it could go either way, depending on your personal situation and attitude. whatever you do, good luck!!

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 9:10 pm
MahPitom wrote:
In the USA it's usually $4 - $5 per hour, more if they don't bring food and diapers.

$4- $5 seems very cheap. Are you sure??

lamplighter

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 10:17 pm
thats what my friends pay too, in Brooklyn

Pizza

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:39 am
I have done it, on and off, over the years. WOrks well when you dont want to leave your baby. You need to consider a bunch of things:

1. When will you get your errands done, out of the house? (grocery shopping, dr and dentist appointments, etc)

2. SAFETY - make SURE you remember your CPR and first aid, and make SURE you have an emergency plan for fire and medical emergencies. That means - how will you get all the kids out RAPIDLY if there is a fire? I usually dont take any more than I can pick up. And, what if you need to go to the emergency room? What if your kid comes home sick from school and needs the doctor? Is there a neighbor who can watch the others for you? What if you get really sick, or need to go out of town? Is there someone who can fill in for you for a few days?

3. What are your rules regarding illness? Lots of working mums like to drop off a kid with a green runny nose and glazed eyes, and tell you that the acamol will kick in in about 1/2 hour. You need to be clear about what is acceptable and what isnt.

4. Are you the type of personality who can manage being stuck in the house all day every day? I was depressed for a while, and the childcare did NOT help! I would have been much better off, emotionally and weight-wise (all that noshing while home) getting a lower-paid job OUT of the house.

That said, it can be very convenient, and fun for you and your kids.

Lots of luck
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics