Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pomegranite juice

willow

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 5:40 am
Where can one find pomegranate juice/syrup and grenadine (which is fake pomegranate syrup) in Israel?

princessmommy

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 6:12 am
They have all sorts of concentrated juices at the health food stores. I am pretty sure that they have pomegranate, ask for "tarkiz rimon". Pm me if you need more info on locations etc.

willow

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 10:14 am
If the hasgacha on the pomegranate syrup says "hashgachas rabbanute h'rashis turkey" ( sorry I have no idea how to spell all of that in english correctly), does that mean anything?

daisy

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 11:10 am
what about in USA?
I found some pomegranate juice with a hechsher (POM brand), but have not found the syrup. Any advice on the syrup? Do I need it to make the pomegranate chicken from KBD or is the juice sufficient?

chavamom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 12:31 pm
daisy wrote:
what about in USA?
I found some pomegranate juice with a hechsher (POM brand), but have not found the syrup. Any advice on the syrup? Do I need it to make the pomegranate chicken from KBD or is the juice sufficient?

You can buy a bottle of grenadine from the liquor aisle in your grocery store to substitute for the syrup. Rose's brand has an OU I believe (it has a good hekhsher, nevertheless). It is not 'real' pommegranate syrup, but it can be substituted with no problem. Willow - not sure where to get the syrup in Israel, but it is used in Middle Eastern cooking, so I'm guessing you can find it. Maybe try the healthfood store, or ask a sephardi neighbor if they have any ideas?

daisy

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 4:02 pm
thanks,
I checked out the grenadine, but from the bottle it didn't look like a thicker consistency than the real pomegranate juice, so I decided to pass (and after looking at those ingredients - not that I'm so perfect, mind you...)

chavamom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 7:09 pm
daisy wrote:
thanks,
I checked out the grenadine, but from the bottle it didn't look like a thicker consistency than the real pomegranate juice, so I decided to pass (and after looking at those ingredients - not that I'm so perfect, mind you...)

It's much sweeter.

daisy

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 7:42 pm
oh, maybe I should go back and get some then.

chavamom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 10:01 pm
I think the recipe will taste very different without it.

suomynona

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 2:54 am
I just saw advertised that Spring makes pomegranet juice. It comes in a carton like all their other juices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen