Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When you're sick

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 12:56 pm
How do sick days work with you? Are you allowed to take off when sick? Do you have a set amount of sick leave per month? How much in advance do you have to let your boss know you can't make it into work? Are you self employed? If so, whats with all the clients you have scheduled if you're sick? Are you "irreplaceable"? Meaning, are you the only one working in a set location and if you're not there, nothing gets done? If so, how do you take sick days if no one else can do your work?

When you answer these questions- it would be great if you said what profession you're in and if you work for yourself, by yourself, or whatnot. Feel free to answer anon if you don't want to divulge personal info under your sn.

Rivky

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 1:01 pm
I work as a secretary. If I'm sick and can't make it in I would call them up that morning. I'm lucky my place is relaxed and ez going in these areas. I mean, if I can't make it in I just cant...

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 1:13 pm
Sick days:
1. per rolling year: 20 paid

2. yes, I'm allowed to take off. sometimes it's rather preferred than infecting others or just sitting there not doing anything bc I feel horrible.

3. per month (no limit other than yearly limit).

4. If I'm sick, I tell him when I know I'm sick, which is usually not that far ahead of time. I leave a message on his voicemail.

5. I don't have clients so I guess this doesn't apply. if I have meetings or committments that day, I mention it to my manager/project lead to either fill in or communicate to the other people that I'm out of the office sick.

6. No, not self employed.

7. etc N/A

I work in science/technology. I'm usually at my desk, and sometimes in meetings. Most of my work is "on my own" timewise, although I interact throughout the day to this end.

GetReal

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:02 pm
I work at home, and I get paid per hour that I work. There is work that needs to be done within a reasonable amount of time, but it's okay if I push it off a day or two. If I see that I will not be able to work for awhile (I took off two weeks when DS was born, for example) I can ask for my work to be given to someone else.

The downside of this system is that I don't get paid as long as I don't work. When I taught, I had 5 paid sick days an academic year, and school vacations, yom tov etc were paid. Now, sometimes I don't feel so good but I feel pressured to get to the computer anyway because the bills still come in.

GetReal

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:05 pm
And when I taught, I had to call the principal as soon as I knew I would be out. It was preferred that I find a sub myself, but if I woke up sick in the morning, he would find one. I did have to make lesson plans, or tell him where there are emeergency lesson plans left in the classroom. After the five sick days, pay was deducted. On the other hand, if you didn't use all five, you got extra pay on the last check.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:28 pm
In France, for all the employees:

Are you allowed to take off when sick? sometimes you HAVE to

Do you have a set amount of sick leave per month? 5 are paid, if you have more than 5 unfortunately you won't be paid... but you can't be fired unless the boss does the long, hard process of showing you will not get better for several months (6 I think).
Now, while you're definitely not supposed to miss 5 days a month, for women they almost expect you'll miss one day for a migraine or period or "feminine stuff"... lol

How much in advance do you have to let your boss know you can't make it into work? when possible.... generally in the morning!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics