Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Getting a passport
Previous  1  2

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:12 pm
Fyk they have come out with 'gps chips' hidden inside the newest passports. Exclamation

Pros- it can always be salvaged even if hidden or misplaced or stolen.

Cons- it can never be forged as in war time...

Tehilla

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:16 pm
Tefila that's a little disturbing.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 4:35 pm
Yea it's true unfortunatley on the Canadian ones for sure .

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:17 pm
Check the hours that the passport window at the post office is open! It is NOT the same hours as the post office.

In the branch I recently used, the hours were 10-1 and they took AN HOUR'S BREAK AT 12.

If you are applying for new ones, you have to go to the post office.

If you are renewing old adult ones, you can do it by mail.

Renewing kids - have to go to the post office.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:21 pm
I heard for new us ones you need some whole complicated notarised thing?

my dd has an american passport but bh we just renew it at the us embassy. Embassies are usually the best places to renew passports. I got a british one in one day once!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:35 pm
red sea wrote:
here greenfire

govt info on us / canada travel

or in english

about.com

thanks - I think however she might have issues as she is only 14 - my son got one quick but he is not considered a minor ...

zigi

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 6:19 pm
there is a fastport place I think its on 12 ave across the street from the post office. I had to go to the post office window for my kids pasport though, they needed the signiture of both parents. they advertise in the torah times. also there is ez passport also advertises in the torah times and jewish press.

cindy324

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 11:05 pm
Quote:
there is a fastport place I think its on 12 ave across the street from the post office

I walked in there last year to see how much they charge and how fast I would get it. They told me I could have my passports in 3 weeks for $260 each shock

Needless to say I took the chance at the post office, where they warned me that if I don't expedite, it takes 12 weeks. Again, I took a chance, and lo and behold, my passports arrived exactly 6 weeks later, without paying the expedite fee.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:21 am
even if you go through a jewish place, you still need to have the passport papers signed by an official. The only places that can certify the paperwork is certain post offices and passport agencies. 5 years ago I had to get a passport for my son in less than a week and we went through a jewish place but we still had to go to the post office. What the jewish place did was get the passport fonr within a few days. When we went to the post office they filled out all the paperwork and certify everything and put it in a sealed envelope which we brought back to the jewish place.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 1:34 am
My passport expired on June 3rd. I mailed out my application to renew it on June 2nd, and it just came in the mail this past Shabbos. We applied for a passport for dd at the same time (in a post office), and hers came a week ago already. And we did NOT pay for expedited service.

Go to the US Department of State website for information on how to apply for a passport and to download forms. There is also a link to help you find a convenient passport application acceptance facility near you.

BTW, if you only plan to travel to Canada (or Mexico) by car or boat, you can apply for the cheaper passport card instead of the passport book.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries