Home

"Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

RedRuby

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 11:53 am       Post subject: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
This is a spinoff of the "Guys" thread...

and Mishie, I dedicate this to you, because you mentioned that in your school "Hi" & "Bye" weren't allowed.

"Hi", "Hey", and "Bye" are definitely more casual. Is that why they are discouraged in some circles?

I tell my kids that they should use "Hello" and not "Hi" when addressing grown up, out of respect.

But when speaking to peers, does it make a difference to you?

sunshine!

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 11:58 am       Post subject:
I can ask the same question about Ma versus Mommy and Ta versus Totty. The first time I heard my son refer to me as "Ma" I was a little taken aback, until I realized that I refer to my own parents that way! It is definitely more casual and I am not so sure how appropriate.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:02 pm       Post subject: re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
It was funny when I read Mishies post. Smile When my 2 year old started talking, and he would "speak" on the phone to his Israeli grandmother, and he would say words like hi and bye, my dh got all nervous what his mother would think of her "moderne american einikel"! He had some explaining to do afterwards, to make it clear that this is the norm, that its not slang.

greenfire

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:06 pm       Post subject:
hey hi ho there or just plain hiya Wink
NUTso but cute ~ things balance out Nervous

yo'ma

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:11 pm       Post subject: re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
That's funny because when I came here and pple said, hola, I thought, that's it, only hola, we have hello, hi, hiya, howdy, yo', etc... So much more of a variety.

cookielady

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:41 pm       Post subject: re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
You could just say "greetings earthlings!"

greenfire

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:42 pm       Post subject: Re: re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey&q
cookielady wrote:
You could just say "greetings earthlings!"

I would take issue with that ... Mr. Green

cookielady

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 12:50 pm       Post subject: re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
You and all the other aliens here!

(notice I didn't say illegal aliens, just aliens!)

Chocoholic

Post Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2008, 2:51 pm       Post subject: re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
Otherwise, try Howdy!

Motek

Post Posted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:34 am       Post subject: Re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
RedRuby wrote:
and Mishie, I dedicate this to you, because you mentioned that in your school "Hi" & "Bye" weren't allowed.

You left out an important detail. She said, "In our High-school (Israeli, BY)"

Maybe the reasoning is, why replace the word "shalom", the traditional Jewish greeting and way of saying goodbye.

As for English speaking people, how about just plain, "Yo!" when wanting to address someone. It's useful when you don't remember their name.

flowerpower

Post Posted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:35 am       Post subject:
"Hey there, what's up?"

Clarissa

Post Posted: Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:43 am       Post subject: Re: "Hello", "Hi", & "Hey"
Motek wrote:
As for English speaking people, how about just plain, "Yo!" when wanting to address someone. It's useful when you don't remember their name.
This can be dangerous, as it might lead to a whole series of "yo mama" jokes. As in, "yo mama house is so dirty, she has to wipe her feet when she goes out." "Yo mama is so greasy, she uses bacon for bandaids." Potentially quite disrespectful.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1