Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
The Culinary Connoisseur- Kosher Cookbook -opinions?

Mevater

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 12:46 am
How difficult are the recipes? HOw does it compare to S. Fishbein's cookbooks?

pinktichel

Post Sun, May 04 2008, 9:09 am
I found quite a few recipes in there with mistakes. For example, the Lemon Mousse. It says in the directions to beat the eggs with the sugar but they don't list sugar in the ingredients! Not only that, there is hardly enough of the batter for the base of the dessert, let alone the top. I had to double it and guestimate how much sugar to use!

I found at least 3 other recipes with errors. When I called them, whoever answered the phone responded in a HEAVY New York accent, "Well, whaddya want?" When I asked about perhaps switching it in for a revised edition, she said "It comes from the Orient, ya know? It could be months before we get them. If you want, call back then." Rolling Eyes

Btw, the cookbook was apparently being revised, with all the changes, but I told her about a mistake that she hadn't known about, so obviously the cookbook is still not accurate!

I did make the beef stir fry from there (even though the picture showed broccoli but there was no mention of it in the ingredients or directions!) and it was DELICIOUS! So was the Lemon Mousse, after my changes/additions but we couldn't cut through the base. We had to eat the mousse and then eat the base like a cookie.

LUCKYTOBEHISWIFE

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 9:48 pm
love it! its very my style of cooking! very down to earth good food and mostly simple to make.besides the cedar wrapped salmon!!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 10:12 pm
I have the Peppermill one. It has some good recipes but find the cookbook hard to use because there are no clear sections like dairy...

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 12:46 pm
I don't like it at all. The recipes do not appeal to me.

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 12:49 pm
It cost ALOT of money and there are a handful of recipes in it. Personally when I buy a cookbook I am not interested in the science behind cooking, I just want good recipes to follow and clear and concise instructions. This cookbook failed by my standards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics