Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Yeast

carrot

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 7:43 pm
ok, so I decided to bake challa ... and I'm feeling kind of dumb because I'm not sure what kind of yeast the recipe is talking about. please educate me!

unless otherwise specified, does "yeast" refer to the little 1/4 oz. packets, (dry yeast?), or to something else and if it refers to something else where do I get that?

if it refers to the little 1/4 oz. packets, does it matter if it says "ideal for bread machines" or "quick rise" - are either of those things detrimental to just regular non-bread machine recipes?

oh... and how seriously do I have to take the expiration dates on those yeast packets? (just curous - they haven't expired yet but I can imagine I will find myself in that situation one day in the future.)

what else should I know about yeast? I'm feeling very ignorant.

daisy

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 7:55 pm
I'll try to answer your yeast question. I think...
If it's dry yeast then it will say 1 package of dry yeast, or it will tell you a measurement such as a teaspoon or a tablespoon.
There is also fresh yeast. It comes in cakes and I'm pretty sure it is measured by the ounce, so the recipe would call for 1 ounce of fresh yeast, for example (I never use this, so I can't describe it any better). You may find a yeast conversion chart in a cookbook such as spice and spirit (or another one that has bread/challah recipes).

It shouldn't matter if it says "quick rise" or best for bread machines

The expiration date would mean that it has probably lost its effectiveness. Supposedly you are supposed to "test" yeast by putting it in the warm water with a sweetener (usually described in the recipes) and seeing if it foams up, but sometimes it doesn't foam for me, but the challah still rises (I use a bread machine anyway, so I don't really do this test).

OK, I hope that helps, I am actually NOT an expert, so if anyone knows better, feel free to correct me.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 10:26 pm
I think when it doesn't specify what type of yeast to use, you can use 3 of the small packages (they're usually connected) or one cake of fresh yeast. if it specifies fresh or active dry, then it's probably best to follow the directions Tongue Out

carrot

Post Fri, Aug 26 2005, 8:48 am
thanks for your help!

I think I was confused because the recipes gave measurements in teaspoons or tablespoons, but the packets are labeled with oz. measurements.

so I opened up the yeast packet and measured it into a teaspoon and ended up using something more than half the package. it felt like a weird thing to do, but I guess I'll see what the challa comes out like.

chen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 2:52 pm
the dry granular type that comes in envelopes or jars is called "active dry" and the refrigerated kind that comes in blocks is called "fresh' or "compressed". they can be used interchangeably but the measurements are different

1 cake (0.6 oz.) compressed yeast = 1 envelope or 1 scant tablespoon active dry.

you really do need to test the viability of yeast before use. all you need to do is dissolve a teaspoon or so in a glass of warm (not hot) water with half a teaspoon of sugar. if it froths up, it's alive and usable, no matter what the package says. if it doesn't froth, you should not use it, no matter what the package says. why risk wasting the other ingredients?

you can store active dry yeast in the freezer way past its expiration date as long as it stays dry.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 3:35 pm
I also get confused with the measurements. does one envelope dry yeast mean one section of the 3- section packet? or one section?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen