Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Keeping double sinks kosher

daisy

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 8:26 am
does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to keep double sinks kosher (e.g. one side milchigs and one side fleishigs). It was suggested me to get a cover (tempered glass) to prevent splashes, but now I am wondering if I need to have two covers - one for each side?

Thanks!

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 8:49 am
Check the pipes underneath your sink. Both my pipes join together to make one, so if I am washing lots of dishes (with lots of soap) the soap bubbles back up into the other sink. I solve this by having a plug for each sink and putting it in the drain when I wash in the other sink.

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 1:49 pm
I know someone who bought a big cutting board for a cover. she uses it on both sides and treats it as if it's "treif."
I wish I had double sinks, or 2 separate sinks now that I'm wishing.

shoy18

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 1:51 pm
also as a side point stainless steel can be kashered if need be.

daisy

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 6:01 pm
thanks for the suggestions. I am still looking for some more input on this. Are double sinks such an uncommon scenario?

sunnymom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 6:14 pm
I have a metal double sink. I was told that since it's metal and it gets hot, it's considered treif. So I have 2 plastic sink inserts, one for milchig and one for fleishig - when I'm using one, I take the other one out and vice versa. (Otherwise when you wash the dishes the bubbles come up into the sink... and also inevitably you splash from one sink into the next.)

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 12:43 am
Quote:
know someone who bought a big cutting board for a cover. she uses it on both sides

U r not talking about me by chance Smile

daisy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 10:20 am
freilich, so you do use this board? How does it work for you? That is what I decided to do. I cover one side and then flip over the cover when I need to use the other side. I hope it's good enough.

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 2:30 pm
freilich wrote:
Quote:
know someone who bought a big cutting board for a cover. she uses it on both sides

U r not talking about me by chance Smile

FREILICH, IT'S YOU!!! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.... I'VE FINALLY FOUND YOU!!!!

no, just kidding. it was s/o I know in eretz yisroel

chen

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 5:33 pm
I bought a piece of sheet plastic of the type used for cutting boards cut to the size of the sink. I originally planned to use it as both a sink cover and cutting board, but when I saw what it looked like after a few cuts, I stopped cutting and just used it as a cover. I put rubbermaid counter trays on the board (one each fro milchik and fleishik) and put the dish drainer on top of the tray. the board slides from one side to the other to expose whichever sink I want to use.

for pesach I kasher the sinks and wrap the cover in plastic or foil.

cindy324

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 11:50 pm
girliesmommy, BTW there is something called" sudstoppers" . It is a rubber piece that you put under the strainer , inside the tail piece(as per husband's instructions) I guess you get it at the hardware store. It prevents the suds from coming out from the other sink. I had the same prob, had it fixed, hub's in the business.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen