Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech Pathology jobs in Israel for English speaker

rexie

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 11:44 pm
Hello everybody, this is my first post Smile

My husband and I are considering moving to Israel from NY. We are searching for an appropriate neighborhood as well as a city that would have jobs for me, an English speaker. My husband is pretty fluent in Hebrew, but I would really need a good ulpan to learn Hebrew well. We are MO (to the right) and would like a welcoming warm community. But most of all, would it be possible for me to work in Israel doing speech therapy with English speaking children? I eventually would like to master the language, but until then, I really need to work. Is there a need for English speaking speech therapists?

smiley:)

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:39 am
I dont know of places which are looking for such a candidate. But I personally know of several ppl who want an english speaking speech therapist and it's very hard to find.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 1:43 am
I don't know if you can be hired by the chupot or such as a non hebrew speaker, but I think in the right area you could get private clients. My twins get speech theropy and I woudl have loved to start them in English and work on the Hebrew later, but there was no English speaking therapist here. I can't really afford to do private, but other people can.

Have you looked into Ma'ale Adumim? Mitzpe Nevo is the specific "religious" neighborhood, but there are frum English speakers scattered around other areas too. We are Modern / Yeshivish and fit right in here. Any questions feel free to PM me. Bli nader I will try to ask my neighbor downstairs about getting "certified" and if it's possible to do it w/o Hebrew. She just finished her speech therapy course (here) and is working now.

rexie

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:52 pm
Thanks for your posts. RachelEve14, between your twins getting therapy and your neighbor, do you think you could estimate how much speech therapists make in Israel? Obviously it would be very helpful to know if I'm thinking of moving there! Smile By the way I don't think I would do private therapy yet since I'm new to the field (I would prefer to work for others first to build up experience). For English communities, we were also considering bet shemesh and ramat bet shemesh.

ShiningThrough

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 2:30 am
Hi rexie, welcome to Imamother!
Your post caught my eye because I've been thinking that I'd like to learn to be an English speaking speech therapist here in Israel. From my experience the need is great, and I imagine that a privately hired English speech therapist can make a parnassa. I think you'll do well here, you'll just have to figure out a way to 'sell yourself' and advertise, then hopefully your clientele will grow by word-of-mouth.

Since I'm wasn't trained in the States, I'm guessing that I'm kind of stuck to learn English speech therapy here. Does anyone know differently?

rexie

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:26 pm
Thank for the welcome ShiningThrough! I'm curious to know why you don't do a degree in Hebrew, since you are living in Israel. Wouldn't that be more marketable? You'd be able to work with Israelis then. Or do you not speak Hebrew that well? I know that Touro in Israel has a speech thearpy program given in English. Which setting would you like to work in?
I was browsing today the nefesh b'nefesh site and they have so much information about communities and which ones are English speaking. The profiles on many of the communities mentioned therapy clinics where speech therapy is offered so I have more to look into now.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 10:30 pm
My cousin is a therapist in Israel and says she gets paid like a cleaning lady would in america.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics