Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Trouble getting RN job being shomer shabbos
Previous  1  2

bobbe

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:32 pm
How old are you? Which school did you graduate from? (You can PM me on that one, or just not answer). You're scaring me. I just got my RN license and graduated Summa come Laude. I'm just starting to apply for jobs. How long ago did you apply to Maimonides? The orientation class in July is full, but the next class in September has openings. Did you have an interview yet with the nurse recruiter? Since you did clinical there, did you manage to establish any relationships with any unit managers?

I'm not saying that anti-semitism doesn't exist, but there is a reality that even if you only work 3 days a week, assuming flex schedule, 7 days a week have to be covered. That means that you cannot have too many Shomer Shabbos nurses in any one unit. We all need and want the same days off.

If you've applied in NYU then, obviously, you have a BSN as they don't take new grads with ADN's. I don't know what your travel limitations are, but there are lots of hospitals in New York City. Keep away from Methodist, though. THey just laid off 35 nurses. Also, with Victoty Memorial closing, there are a lot of displaced nurses from there as well who need jobs. Both are 1199 hospitals, so be aware that any 1199 facility (Continuum is the biggest) is mechiev to take those union members over new graduates. Hatzlocha.

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 7:51 am
boruchhashem wrote:
Isn't the not hiring because of shabbos a bias issue/religion?
My father used to work for the EMS of the city of NY, and they had a few things to work through, but he never had to work on shabbos, yom tov, or even remove his yarmulka when not wearing his cap, which they required, but went to court for, to straighten out.

Well, its not exactly bias. They can always say: we need this person to be available 2 saturdays a month. Sorry, that's the job requirement, hospital needs to be staffed 24/7, and more senior nurses have earned their right to work fewer weekends.

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 7:56 am
Secbeb wrote:
Its tough. Probably makes you want to give up, huh? That's how I felt when I got out of nursing school and applied at the hospital that I thought I was *guaranteed* a job but never got called back from the nurse recruiter. I had been begged by the nurse manager to apply for a job on the unit I did my mentorship on and I was totally psyched to start, but of course, the not working on shabbos thing came up and I never heard back. In that case, it was because the nurse's union at that hospital wouldn't hire me because I had restricted days. It made me not even want to apply anywhere else and face the same rejection. Luckily, a friend of mine got me to send my resume in to a local hospital with some nudging and I got a call to come interview. I was apprehensive, but this hosp has an equal opportunity policy and the nurse manager with whom I interviewed made it very clear that not working on shabbos would not be a problem at all. I interviewed for two floors and got job offers from both. I chose to work in the cardiothoracic ICU and I've been here for more than a year. In the end, thank G-d it worked out. Instead of working at a hospital 30 minutes away, where I originally was rejected from, I work 7 minutes from my house, with people I really like, even another frum nurse! We can't always see how wonderful G-d's ways are, except in hind-sight, but stay positive. Gam zu letovah!

Wow, that's a great story. And you're right about despair and disgust related to rejection. I'm sure everyone finds jobs eventually.
It is just really upsetting to know that if I wasn't shomer shabbos I would have a job already.
Thank you for sharing!

msym

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:45 am
I went through the same thing- shabbos really does deter the nurse managers from highering frum RN's
eventually I got a job at methodist but had a terrible experience there so I am not there anymore. all I can say is keep trying and constantly calling back to see if there are any availabilities.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 12:18 pm
After hearing all these stories, I think I'm glad I'm not in New York...

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 2:53 pm
All right, I've got a job offer from NYU!!!
However, now I am paranoid because I didn't tell them about the whole holidays issue, and they will come right after my orientation... Will I be fired when they find out?

Cdlf

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:02 pm
Is there another frum nurse at NYU that you could talk to and ask? How did other nurses tell their supervisors? In the same conversation remind her that you can work x-mas, New Years and all legal holidays, and even some Sundays.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:11 pm
I'm surprised! hatzlacha with finding a job. my MIL is a nurse on the geriatric dementia floor and she's a hot commodity for her co-workers, cause she's willing to work on their "holiday" shifts in exchange for Shabbos/Yom Tov. she works sundays too.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:18 pm
Once you have a written offer, it's much hard for them to take it back than to just ignore you.

Holidays that happen once a year are NOT the same as shabbos (which happens weekly so some companies can find ways around it....)

Just document everything, and wait until you have a written offer (in paper not just email) then approach them with the yomim tovim you will need off for the rest of the calendar year...in writing. Point out where you can be more available (ie. you don't care about working Dec 24-26, Thanksgiving (probably), Dec 31-Jan1 as much as your coworkers might...

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 6:29 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Once you have a written offer, it's much hard for them to take it back than to just ignore you.

Holidays that happen once a year are NOT the same as shabbos (which happens weekly so some companies can find ways around it....)

Just document everything, and wait until you have a written offer (in paper not just email) then approach them with the yomim tovim you will need off for the rest of the calendar year...in writing. Point out where you can be more available (ie. you don't care about working Dec 24-26, Thanksgiving (probably), Dec 31-Jan1 as much as your coworkers might...

thank you, that's great advice!
Actually, I didn't get anything in writing from them, just a phone call - we would like to offer you a position... Should I ask for a written offer?

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 8:26 pm
Without accepting, you can communicate that you are happy to hear about the offer and look forward to getting back to them formally ASAP after you've received the paperwork detailing the particulars (pay, benefits, etc.). When can they get that to you?

I would think they'd send out written offers for nurses, but maybe I'm wrong.

I was told it is legally fine to not inform them of religious scheduling things (holidays, etc.) until after you are hired and start working, but that it's just not derech eretz to do it that way. But if you can't get a written offer, then I'd wait to bring it up until you've signed paperwork accepting the job....something in writing showing they did hire you. IYH they'll send you a written offer like a normal company and you can just do things the easy way.

Nicole

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 1:40 pm
Mazel tov on your offer. Very Happy I hope it works out for you. Just so you know, I went through all that too when I graduated 1 yr ago, and now I'm in a psych hospital. It's been good, b'h, I'm getting the hang of everything and feel good on the unit but I'm putting out feelers for a med surge position of some sort.
Only prob is ds (bless him) is nowhere NEAR sleeping through the night, so I really need a day shift... that's nearly impossible. Sigh.
Maybe some of you know: what's the story with working in a NON 1199 hospital? Does that have good benefits as well? Now I'm on 1199 insurance, it's great, I don't have to pay a premium or any copays or anything... what happens otherwise? I'm so oblivious, it's terrible. Maybe I should start another thread for this...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics