Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Jewish Family on Wife Swapping Show??

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 5:50 pm
Did anyone see this? An aquantence was telling me about it and I thought it might be online somewhere. The problem is that I don't know the name of the show or the station. Can you help?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 5:59 pm
A religious family?

golddigger

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 6:23 pm
wife swap you can see it on abc.com

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 6:27 pm
it is called "wife swap" ... don't get the wrong idea though - it's about how the house is run and whose rules they follow ... and if they learn anything interesting along the way ... the match up the oddest of families though ...

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 6:37 pm
I LOVE that show... basically 2 wives from very different families swap lives for 2 weeks (or 10 days)...
the first week they have to follow the rules (or live the life) of the wife they are "replacing". The second week they can make changes...

I have always wanted to see a Jewish family in that show... but I am afraid that I still can't watch it, since I am out of the US and abc.com only allows online viewing for people in the states.. too bad Crying .

debsters1101

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 8:46 pm
don't be too sad. wife swap is not one of the shows available on abc.com

golddigger

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 10:45 pm
my mistake wife swap is not available videos on abc but if u search the web you might find it.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 1:54 am
I happened to catch it. It was a VERYYYY left wingy Orthodox family in Boston if I remember correctly. For the life of me I can't remember who they swapped with.... it didn't portray Judaism in the best of light. Skip it if there's something better on.

SouthernShalom

Post Wed, Jul 02 2008, 8:55 am
That is part of the reason I wanted to watch it. The person who told me about it isn't Jewish and she wasn't sure how to take the way the family was portrayed. I wanted to watch it so that I could help explain it to her. Some people don't understand that the media has an agenda and they will portray people however they want. But it was WifeSwap and not one of the other swapping shows? I couldn't find it on their lineup.

cb

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 1:00 pm
did anyone find where we can see it on the web? I searched but did not find it.

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 3:07 pm
This is what I found: http://www.slice.ca/Shows/Epis.....15195

cb

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 5:23 pm
thanks, I tried it but did not see anything, it seems that you can only watch it those specific times, but it was already.
anywhere else?

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 5:41 pm
I was curious as well. I only managed to find this.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/.....print

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 5:45 pm
Quote:
A mother from a strictly Orthodox Jewish family in Boston switches places with a mother from an Appalachian family in Kentucky.

Life in the Martin home is filled with tension as Lisa feels everyone is mad at her for trying to push a tutor on Aaron. Things stand to get even worse as she prepares a kosher meal for her dinner guests: the in-laws. Back in Boston, Sharon realizes she needs to adjust to living within all the rules and has decided that even though their religion forbids cross gender contact, the Shatz kids still need to have a party. Her first step is getting 20-year-old son Aryeh a makeover, including a new wardrobe, haircut and glasses. As the Martin's extended family descend on the home, Lisa serves her kosher meal, carefully explaining how any mis-use of the serving utensils will render the meal un-kosher and therefore inedible. During the after dinner conversation Lisa is questioned about the origins of "keeping kosher" and she and her new family realize their religious differences don't separate them as much as their common respect of faith brings them together.

The party at the Shatz home is just getting started as the new and improved Aryeh makes his debut, much to the delight of all. Even with the religious rules being observed, everyone seems to be enjoying the spirit of the evening - even the rigid Michael - until an unexpected visit from the Rabbi. Even though the elder scholar seems mildly amused by the youthful happening, Michael confesses his embarrassment and calls a halt to the event. While the fun was short-lived, Sharon feels she was successful in relieving some stress and opening up the lines of communication with the children. Having found common ground with most of the Martin family, Lisa turns her attention back to Aaron. While he's still wary at first, the two begin to bond, at first while kicking around a soccer ball and ultimately by her teaching him how to make an electromagnet.

As the week ends, both families say fond farewells to their new mommies. The two women meet to discuss their experiences and then are finally reunited with their loved ones. All that remains is for the two families to find out how their 'new mommies' have spent their $50,000.

energy11

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 12:10 pm
Sounds great! I would of loved to watch it. If anyone finds it online, please let us know!

superjew

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 12:39 pm
I usually enjoy watching the show for pure entertainment, however it is annoying about the stereotypes that get portrayed and especially if it isn't even right - or maybe thats because Im the one being stereotyped (jew)?

princessleah

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 12:47 pm
I know this family since I was a kid and I watched the show in pieces on YouTube. It aired like a few years ago already!
I don't think she was portrayed in a negative light, it was pretty funny seeing the mom calling supermarkets in Kentucky and asking them if they had kosher chicken. She had some conflict when the extended family came over, being accused of prejudice because she didn't want her kids to marry whoever they wanted. But the grandmother agreed with her, and then everyone got happy. Basically she bugged the son a lot for never studying or doing any homework (a big part of life in the Boston Jewish community!)

As for the other mother, she was trying to "loosen" everybody up. And during the party, when the "Rabbi" came, I'm pretty sure it was a shaliach collecting for zedaka. It just made more drama to call him the "Rabbi." Unfortunately, I heard the father was not allowed to be president of his shul anymore, after this aired!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 1:37 pm
justanothermother wrote:
Quote:
A mother from a strictly Orthodox Jewish family in Boston switches places with a mother from an Appalachian family in Kentucky.

Life in the Martin home is filled with tension as Lisa feels everyone is mad at her for trying to push a tutor on Aaron. Things stand to get even worse as she prepares a kosher meal for her dinner guests: the in-laws. Back in Boston, Sharon realizes she needs to adjust to living within all the rules and has decided that even though their religion forbids cross gender contact, the Shatz kids still need to have a party. Her first step is getting 20-year-old son Aryeh a makeover, including a new wardrobe, haircut and glasses. As the Martin's extended family descend on the home, Lisa serves her kosher meal, carefully explaining how any mis-use of the serving utensils will render the meal un-kosher and therefore inedible. During the after dinner conversation Lisa is questioned about the origins of "keeping kosher" and she and her new family realize their religious differences don't separate them as much as their common respect of faith brings them together.

The party at the Shatz home is just getting started as the new and improved Aryeh makes his debut, much to the delight of all. Even with the religious rules being observed, everyone seems to be enjoying the spirit of the evening - even the rigid Michael - until an unexpected visit from the Rabbi. Even though the elder scholar seems mildly amused by the youthful happening, Michael confesses his embarrassment and calls a halt to the event. While the fun was short-lived, Sharon feels she was successful in relieving some stress and opening up the lines of communication with the children. Having found common ground with most of the Martin family, Lisa turns her attention back to Aaron. While he's still wary at first, the two begin to bond, at first while kicking around a soccer ball and ultimately by her teaching him how to make an electromagnet.

As the week ends, both families say fond farewells to their new mommies. The two women meet to discuss their experiences and then are finally reunited with their loved ones. All that remains is for the two families to find out how their 'new mommies' have spent their $50,000.

Close to thirty years ago I lived in NY and my friends and I found this midtown area where people would be rounded up to be focus groups for TV shows. This plot sounds like one of the pretty bad ones I saw lo those many years ago.

I just really, really don't like the title. Kind of like those Priceline commercials encouraging "sleeping around." Makes me wish I had reason to use Priceline so I could contact them and let them know why I'm not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics