Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My two year old calls me by my first name!

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:14 pm
Aaaaargh! I've been trying to explain to him that I am mommy. I must get dh to call me mommy in front of him.

yummydd

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 7:56 pm
My 14 months old calls me by my name but I find it so cute that when I wanna say come to mommy ill say my name instead. I know im naughty but its soooooo cute for a kid this age to do it

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 8:17 pm
I heard its common is first children. My first kid called my husband and I by our first name also. The following kids never did.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:10 pm
Ignore him when he does that so he will stop.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:27 am
happy2BaMommy wrote:
I must get dh to call me mommy in front of him.

Well, you know the solution! I think it's most common with an oldest child. At this age, they aren't being rebellious - just mimicking what they hear - or at most, slightly naughty b/c they've already seen you disapprove.

The other day, my 2 yo heard me call dh by his first name, which I guess I don't usually do in front of the kids (not even consciously at this point) and he repeated to himself, "Bob? No - Abba!"
(not his real name, obviously)

iluvsushi

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:43 am
Well just say B"H that he knows your name.
I don't like it when a child who is around 4-5 years and older doesn't know their parents names. It's not safe for when they get lost hash v'shalom.
My DD knows our names BH, she used it for a while and is back to saying mummy/tatty. Her knew thing is to call me Mom and laugh.

mom23

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:17 am
I think all my kids did that at some point. But it was always a very short phase. It didn't help that the first time they did it, I burst out laughing. But after that I always told them - you get to call Mommy/Tatty a very special name that noone else (except your siblings) get to call us. You're really lucky to be able to do that.

For some reason that worked with my kids.

Pizza

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 8:57 am
I really like that approach, mom23

mom23

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 9:11 am
Pizza wrote:
I really like that approach, mom23

Thanks!

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:11 pm
I think most children pass this stage of calling the parents by their first name ignoring it would probably solve it quicker

chavs

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 4:35 pm
ds did it for a while, I thought it was cute although I didnt encourage it, I didnt discourage it either and just enjoyed this stage of his development as well.

as you might have guessed my name is Chava, but he couldnt say the ch sound so he called me fwawa
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics