Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
At what age did you start wearing make up?
Previous  1  2

At what age did you start wearing make up?
 29%  [ 16 ]
 30%  [ 17 ]
 21%  [ 12 ]
 7%  [ 4 ]
20 and up  
 5%  [ 3 ]
15 or less  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 55

proudmom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 12:36 pm
miriam wrote:
Makeup.. what's that? I haven't started wearing it yet. I guess I am too young, Just kidding. It's never been my style and BARUCH HASHEM I married someone who doesn't like makeup either.

when you go to weddings do you wear make up?

Rivka

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 3:50 pm
I wore make up at 13. So this poll doesn't refer to me and I still wear it when I get the chance. I don't like putting loads on, I like abit of eye liner and mascarra and some lippy.
My mum gave me most her eye shadows she had and I still have them.

jewgal84

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:24 pm
I think I "officially" started wearing make-up when my older sis went for her senior pics, I must've been 15 1/2- 16? Yet, make-up for me then was maybe lipstick, lipgloss and a bit of eyeshadow and it wasnt really "good" make-up, it was mostly bought at a local drug store.

Since then I've been wearing makeup. In school it was never allowed, so what was the point of putting it on to taking it right off! I'd wear it during vacation time or off days like shabbosim.

In Seminary, I wore make-up, but I was more into the eyeshadows than lipstick and till today I wear mostly eye make-up, colored lipgloss (on occasion lipstick) and never on face (cover-up, foundation or blush).

(I havent found a good mascara that is easy to wash off right b4 mikva night, so instead I'll stop wearing it a few days prior.)

miriam

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 11:34 pm
proudmom wrote:
miriam wrote:
Makeup.. what's that? I haven't started wearing it yet. I guess I am too young, Just kidding. It's never been my style and BARUCH HASHEM I married someone who doesn't like makeup either.

when you go to weddings do you wear make up?

Nope.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 11:51 pm
Quote:
how the BHM"K was destroyed because the Bnos Zion wore eye-liner

Where's the source Confused And here I thought the BHM"K was destroyed for other reasons Rolling Eyes

supermom

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 12:49 am
Are you trying to say that the beis hamikdash was destroyed because of us woman?

RivkaS

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 2:29 am
of course we are always guilty. Twisted Evil
I think this "because of the womens eye-shadow" is an abbreviated mishna - at least it sounds like this. I also would like to a) hear the source and b) the whole background. If nobody here can give an answer I will copy this question and put it into the men's section. 8)

sarahd

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 4:24 am
Look at the Targum on the posuk I brought from Yeshaya, and tell me what it says.

Rivk

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 7:41 am
Sure, Sarahd I remember learning that in high school. And it wasn't only the eye makeup either - there were all sorts of non-tzniusdik ways of dress that were also a factor.

lucky

Post Wed, Nov 02 2005, 12:31 pm
Rivk wrote:
Sure, Sarahd I remember learning that in high school. And it wasn't only the eye makeup either - there were all sorts of non-tzniusdik ways of dress that were also a factor.

Perfume is also mentioned I think.
The bottom point is that women in those times did not dress/act appropriately and attracted mens attention.

RivkaS

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 6:23 am
Sorry for posting late, but yesterday evening when I had my nice post reday the internetconnection was interrupted and everything vanished...

So here is what I "saw": the passuk does not talk about make-up and the same goes for the targum. the word in the targum is "blinking" and "casting ones eyes upon" (Jastrow, Dictionary of the Targumim, Talmud Bably and Jerushalmi and the Midrashim, p. 1022). So that would mean "flirting" in oposition to "beautifying" which was allowed to girls of marriable age. If you like the sources I can give you that too on a later occasion.
Sincerely
Rivka

chen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 9:06 am
rivkas, thank you for that! it certainly makes more sense. you have probably made a lot of women very happy!

I wear eye shadow maybe once a year to a simcha and could certainly live without it, but I do like to see hebrew translated properly. inaccurate translations have caused our people a lot of grief in 2000 years (hinei ha'almah harah veyoledet ben...)

RivkaS

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 12:33 pm
thank you so much, I was ready for another attack....

Rivka

Post Thu, Nov 03 2005, 7:42 pm
I thought the bes Hamikdash was destroyed because of sinas chinam, that is why we have to have ahavas yisroel and unity to bring moshiach; to rebuild what we destroyed.
It makes more sense for it to have been destroyed because it was everyone's fault rather than "lets just blame the women, as they are the weaker 5ex and they can't stand up for themselves".

RivkaS

Post Fri, Nov 04 2005, 1:37 am
you are making the same mistake as I did, what you are talking about is the 2. BHMK and the conflict was about the 1. one. and you also can look up my explanation about the 2. one and sinat chinam to understand why we don't get Mashiach even after the shoa!
Rivka
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics