Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic to peaches?

mom21n2

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:50 am
I think my baby is allergic to peaches. He throws up after yogurt and, apparently, after peach soy yogurt. At first I thought it was the dairy itself, but he took similac without any problems. Could it be peaches?

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:37 am
My husband reacts badly to peaches. But its interesting because my husband only reacts to raw peaches not cooked.
I read somewhere that peaches have the highest rate of pesticides.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:59 am
I am allergic to raw peaches as well as many other raw fruits, vegetables and nuts. It is called an Oral Allergy Syndrome and is a cross allergic reaction to various environvental allergens (in my case Birch tree pollen).

I wonder if in a baby it might be more a reaction to the acidity?

~Debbie

mom21n2

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:17 pm
maybe it's acidity. what other foods should we be suspicious of (I never thought of peaches as being particularly acidic.)

abismommy

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 2:37 pm
If it's the same as you, 5boysMom, dh is allergic to raw almonds, apples and peaches. He gets a tingly feeling in his mouth and his tongue gets a "hairy" feeling all over (whatever that means).

mom21n2

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 2:44 pm
I've given him raw plums and raw nectarines (in a mesh thingy), with no bad reaction. Of course, I'm not giving him anything with nuts. I remember he used to choke up jarred peaches, and maybe even jarred apples (having a hard time remembering). Both babies made faces at jarred plums, that sour face. DD gets a rash from jarred corn. (At least, I think it's from the corn. Weird?) I wish they came with a manual!

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:03 pm
abismommy wrote:
If it's the same as you, 5boysMom, dh is allergic to raw almonds, apples and peaches. He gets a tingly feeling in his mouth and his tongue gets a "hairy" feeling all over (whatever that means).

It's for sure the same thing. Does he get seasonal allergies at the beginning of the spring too? (pollen)

I have an unusually bad case that has rapidly progressed from the tingly feeling to full blown anaphalaxis. I am allergic to raw apples, pears, peaches, nectrines, apricots, cherries, plums, mullberries, carrots, green peas, almonds, hazelnuts... I think that's most of the list. I seem to pick up another couple every year.

BTW, I had no allergies until about I was 28, when all of this started!

~Debbie

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:06 pm
OP: you mentioned yogurt - maybe that is the problem? Do you always give yogurt with the peaches?

I think peaches ARE quite acidic. What about bananas? pears, apples?

You could always go back and try peaches again when your baby is a bit older. Also, maybe try to give the fruits together with cereal. (A bit of each on each spoonful) That might balance out the acidity.

Good luck!

~Debbie

PS: I think that corn IS a food that is a common allergen (from what I remember, anyway)

mom21n2

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:20 pm
I thought it might be the yogurt, so we switched him to soy. At first he seemed fine with the soy. But that made no sense because he was fine with the Similac. I was nervous about going from Similac to milk. Now I don't know if it's the milk, the soy, the yogurt, the peaches, or what. I think he makes that yucky face with pears and apples, and genearlly will not eat them. I'm not sure if he throws those up. I think he likes banana. I am going to have to start writing all this down as he eats I guess until I figure it out.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 5:24 pm
Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese) are very different from milk based formula.
Where I live we are advised not to give any dairy product until at least 12-18 months. They are a lot harder for baby to digest. Formula is somehow "pre-digested", or at least broken down somehow. If the soy, seems better, go with that for now. Again, you can always try the dairy products when dc is older.

~Debbie

abismommy

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:03 pm
yes, 5boysMom, he gets seasonal allergies too. But iirc, he had this from the teenage years. some ofthe things that you mentioned - after those hree - are also problems for him, but he can't eat too many fruits because of his diabetes.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 8:48 pm
re corn - many times it's not an allergy, but the baby's tummy is too weak to properly digest it - I gave ds corn and he had horrible diapers, and it all came out not digested. Now, at 2, there's no prob.

But, fil is allergic to all melons, and bil is allergic to bananas (dh is allergic to all nuts, seeds, used to be dairy and egg but grew out of it, oh and coconut.)

yummydd

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 12:39 am
My dh was allergic to peaches till about ten as well as some other fruits but he bh outgrew it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics