Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
A waste of time?

Bambamama

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 7:45 am
I have a good friend who is one of those people who puts a lot into presentation. Her Shabbos tables always look like they're from a magazine, and when she sends a gift, she'll make these elaborate cards with arts and crafts supplies, with little silk flowers, and little ribbons and clear beads pasted on. And she uses her own cut-out letters and pastes them on. So when she does this, I always wonder, doesn't she realize most of these cards get thrown away? I don't want to tell her it's a waste of time, because I'm sure it makes people feel good that she put all that effort into it, but people just don't save those things. I know she spent hours on a card for our friend who just had a baby.

She's also into scrapbooking, which I can understand. She does nice work, and her kids may appreciate it one day. But at the same time, once they're done, they sit on a dusty shelf. It's not like a framed picture which enhances one's home. What do you think, are these things a waste of time?

For those of you who say I should just mind my own business if it makes her happy... I am not staying up nights about this, I just thought it was a good "chit chat" topic.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 7:49 am
I think it's as good a hobby as any.

I would encourage her to start a business of helping people make their simchot more elaborate etc so she could put her skills to good work and do what she loves all the time. Or do scrapbooking for other people for money.

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 7:55 am
its a great hobby. I also enjoy making things pretty. I enjoy making food picture perfect and get nachas out of perfect presentation. So what if it gets eaten up right away- for even that moment of seeing it perfect, its worth all the time in the world!!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:21 am
I also think it's a waste of time, but I would never say anything to her about it. I like to sew, but not craft things. I'm very practical, there has to be use gotten out of it.
For a lot of pple to do these things, is therapy for them. It's very relaxing and they like the result.

Emee

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 8:25 am
I just got into scrapbooking this week. Mainly I was forced to do it. And now I have 3 other projects that I'm starting and I am really enjoying it. I think if it is hobby it is great and also I find it very relaxing.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:03 am
It's certainly no worse of a waste of time than Imamother! LOL

If she enjoys it, gezunteheit!

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:06 am
Hey, it's all in the presentation. I spend a little time wrapping up my gifts "fancy" but it really makes the gifts look quite nice.

red sea

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:43 am
Why would it be a waste of time if it makes her happy & the recipient feel cared for even if they dont save it?

Tehilla

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 9:45 am
ya know, in a day and age where many people have trouble expressing themselves in a healthy way--this sounds like she has a creative outlet, regardless of whether her recipient appreciates it or not. it's so important for the 'inner voice' of a person to be expressed in a good fashion!

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:36 am
I think she realizes people don't keep it forever and ever... She gets enjoyment from actually doing it and seeing the results.

Toot

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 10:56 am
Does she really think that people are going to keep her cards? I'm sure she does it because it's relaxing and enjoyable for her, not just nice for the recipient. I do the same thing sometimes, whether it's wrapping gifts, making cards or food.

And ditto to whoever said that it's a better use of time than Imamother!!

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:07 am
If it makes her happy and proud of herself every time she creates something, let her.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:39 am
I used to make "refua sheleima" cards for my friends in camp when they got sick. I would make a pic of a girl sick in bed by cutting out every piece and detail from colored paper and gluing it together instead of drawing. I loved the creative outlet, and I loved their reaction when I gave it to them. After that, let them do whatever they like. Smile

Bambamama

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 2:17 pm
It's nice to get different perspectives. I also like to make things look nice and presentable, but I'm like you, yo'ma. I'm very practical. It needs to be something I hang up on the wall, or something the kids can wear, or food that my family and guests can enjoy. Good point Seraph about food getting eaten up right after you lay it out nicely. Somehow that doesn't bother me as much as hours spent on a card that's going to get thrown out the same week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics