Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Wiping tushies

amother

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:42 am
What age do your children wipe themselves, w/o calling...mooooommy, please wipe me!!!!??

I had enough with wiping my 5 1/2 year old, but he doesn't do a good job, so I tell him to start and then I'll check him.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 8:48 am
DD - 5 just started a few months ago & the other day she even wiped her younger brother!

greenfire

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:09 am
it varies ... but at 5 they certainly are not experts ... make sure to have baby wipes tell him to use after the toilet paper ... and hopefully he'll be squeaky clean in no time ...

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:12 am
Up until now, I have found myself wiping my boys well into 1st grade, whenever possible. Sadly, my youngest is going to gan where they do not wipe tushies so at the ripe old age of 3.5 I am trying to teach him. I don't think he can reach and do the job well enough, but at least he will have a clue what's expected of him. I will check him when he gets home. In the U.S. they wiped children of this age.

yersp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:19 am
DD is 4, she wipes herself but I check her afterwards to make sure she's totally clean. DS is 3, he wants to wipe himself, he starts but I finish the job for him.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:21 am
Are you serious? 5?!? I was almost ready to start teaching my 2 and 1/4 year old to wipe himself! ok just kidding, but you mean I have 3 more more years? I dont remember what I did by my other kids, but it was surely earlier than that. They started school at 3-3 1/2 and the teachers did not wipe so they had to do it on their own.

Pineapple

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:23 am
Try flushable wipes to make it easier

yersp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:25 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
and the teachers did not wipe so they had to do it on their own.

Which is why I told my kids that they should try their best to do their business at home so that I can make sure that they wipe themselves clean. Only number 1 (couldnt find a nicer way to say it!!) is allowed in school. Obviously I also stressed the point that if they have to make big in school they should do and not hold themselves in.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:31 am
Rosycheeks wrote:

Which is why I told my kids that they should try their best to do their business at home so that I can make sure that they wipe themselves clean. Only number 1 (couldnt find a nicer way to say it!!) is allowed in school. Obviously I also stressed the point that if they have to make big in school they should do and not hold themselves in.

Rosy, I don't agree with this. It can cause stress and constipation. When a child has to go, he/she HAS to go. Think of Birkat Asher Yatzar, how we thank H for making everything work in it's natural way. Holding it in is not natural. And, what happens if they are so busy holding it in that it gets released by itself? They will feel doubly terrible. If you say on the one hand: only do it at home and on the other hand go in school... what are they supposed to do?
I have a problem with this last kid: I can't say anything cause he goes at least 2-3 times a day!

yersp

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:32 am
Tamiri wrote:
Rosycheeks wrote:

Rosy, I don't agree with this. It can cause stress and constipation. When a child has to go, he/she HAS to go. Think of Birkat Asher Yatzar, how we thank H for making everything work in it's natural way. Holding it in is not natural. And, what happens if they are so busy holding it in that it gets released by itself? They will feel doubly terrible. If you say on the one hand: only do it at home and on the other hand go in school... what are they supposed to do?
I have a problem with this last kid: I can't say anything cause he goes at least 2-3 times a day!

Did you see my last sentence??

I also stressed the point that if they have to make big in school they should do and not hold themselves in

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:37 am
Rosycheeks wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
and the teachers did not wipe so they had to do it on their own.

I never told that to my kids, but they did that on their own. They hardly ever did #2 in school, they just didn't feel comfortable, unless it was an emergency. Till today, many years later, they still have this 'practice'.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:38 am
Rosycheeks wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Rosycheeks wrote:

Did you see my last sentence??

I also stressed the point that if they have to make big in school they should do and not hold themselves in

What is in bold is what made it unclear to me.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:41 am
My dd is 3 1/2 and she never does #2 anywhere but home. Even when she's at her grandma's - and she's there almost every Sunday and Monday - she holds it in for 2 days and than poops 5 times in 2 hours, as soon as she gets home. I don't know why, she never complains of anything, so I think its something subconscious Confused

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:42 am
By age four I taught ds how to wipe himself well. He has to wipe well five times.

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Aug 11 2008, 9:44 am
flowerpower wrote:
By age four I taught ds how to wipe himself well. He has to wipe well five times.

Different kids have different proportions, and many can't physically reach to do a good job. Especially girls who must wipe front to back Confused Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers