Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Anyone ever heard of "Neveah" or "Nevaeh"
Previous  1  2  3  4

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:41 am
I had a teacher in grade school who was named Soda. Last name... Popp. Promise. He was actually in Wripley's Believe it or Not. He had a brother named "Rado" which I have no idea what it means other than "my parents are cruel and unusual".

Someone just told me they had to change their dd's name when they moved to Israel and found out that Kefira, which they meant to be "lioness", didn't have such a great connotation in dati circles.

And doesn't everyone know about Shlomo Carlebach's dd Neshama Tehora? One of our friends grew up with her and jokes about her mother out in the street yelling, "Neshama Tehoooooooooooooraaaaaaaaaaaah! Dinner!!!"

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:45 am
Rado is a Slavic name meaning happy. The feminine form Rada is used in Yiddish.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:50 am
yo'ma wrote:
chaylizi wrote:
a little boy named seven. his mom thought it was a really neat name.

George and Susan, heading home from the restaurant. George is happy,
smiling and whistling.
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheSeven.html

well there was the guy from environmental services who told us that his first kid would be named ESPN

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:53 am
chaylizi wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
chaylizi wrote:

George and Susan, heading home from the restaurant. George is happy,
smiling and whistling.
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheSeven.html

well there was the guy from environmental services who told us that his first kid would be named ESPN

I heard of a kid named ESPN. Not personally. My dh told me about it. He watches ESPN and they must have mentioned it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:55 am
And then there's Mike who decided instead of naming his son Mike, Jr., he'll name him Mike 2.0

Last edited by BeershevaBubby on Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

chavamom

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:57 am
yo'ma wrote:

I heard of a kid named ESPN. Not personally. My dh told me about it. He watches ESPN and they must have mentioned it.

That one was in the news - they pronounce it "Es-pen" which isn't bad, just a bad spelling (and reason for naming!).

amother

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 11:57 am
yo'ma wrote:

I heard of a kid named ESPN. Not personally. My dh told me about it. He watches ESPN and they must have mentioned it.[/quote]

My husbands cousin just named her baby ESPN (pronounced espin). They are only using his hebrew name and they thought it would be funny. She also let her sister chose his first English name as a birthday present! Anonymous b/c we tell people his name everywhere we go.
I've heard that quite a few frum people have fun with their kids English names b/c they won't use them. Like giving them the name trouble as their middle name. LOL

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:14 pm
I've never heard of something so weird and immature... don't give an English name if you don't want one, but why put the person in a situation that when he shows his papers he's ridiculous and a chillul hashem??

mali

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 1:30 pm
chavamom wrote:
And doesn't everyone know about Shlomo Carlebach's dd Neshama Tehora? One of our friends grew up with her and jokes about her mother out in the street yelling, "Neshama Tehoooooooooooooraaaaaaaaaaaah! Dinner!!!"
Her full name is "neshama tehora sheyarda la'olam b'erev shabbos bein hashmashos".

one of my teachers previously taught in public school and she had a student Wayne Duappe. She couldn't get herself to call him by his full name the entire year Sad.

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:15 pm
And if your name is Pessi, don't move to Israel.

mali

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 2:21 pm
why not? I have a few pessi friends here, including a not-yet-frum one!

GAMZu

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 8:54 pm
Quote:
degalya

Maybe the mohel mispronounced Gedalya? What LOL

And Moshiach and Mazaltov I have heard amongst Sefardim.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 9:33 pm
chaylizi wrote:

am I the only one that had Star Trek come to mind?? remember seven of nine? LOL

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 1:54 am
I read an article by a quite annoyed guy named Harei because his parents loved Harei Yehuda. His whole life people have been asking him why his Israeli parents named him Harry.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names