Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Got milk?

Chanie

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:23 pm
had guest this past week-end who drank 1% milk. My family cannot get ourselves to finish it (we prefer 2% or whole) but I feel bad throwing out more then a half a bottle. I tried making some chocolate milk, but it tasted watered down... anyone have any ideas on how to get it finished?

proudmom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:31 pm
make ice cream

queen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 2:56 pm
give it to a friend

chen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 3:05 pm
add a little lemon juice --or just leave it awhile in the fridge!--to make it sour and make sour milk pancakes. I can send you a recipe if you like.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 6:32 pm
sour milk pancakes? I would love to get the recipe for when milk spoils! do you accually use SPOILED MILK??

chen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 7:44 pm
brachad wrote:
sour milk pancakes? I would love to get the recipe for when milk spoils! do you accually use SPOILED MILK??

uh-huh. what do you think yogurt is? but for the pancakes the milk must not be curdled, just sour. and I only use milk that soured in the fridge, not s/t that was in someone's backpack or out on the table a whole day, even though cooking would kill the germs.

the sour milk provides the acid that reacts with the leavening to produce carbon dioxide gas, which forms the bubbles that make the pancakes (nice and light) that mama made for two zuzim. LOL right, indymom? Wink

part A:
1-2 eggs, beaten
2 cups sour milk or buttermilk
2 T. oil or melted fat

part B:
2 cups sifted flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 T. sugar or a little more if you want it sweeter

mix each part in a separate bowl. when ready to cook, mix both parts together just till smooth and not more. Batter will be very runny. pour spoonfuls onto hot, greased frying pan or griddle. when bubbles on top burst, flip over and cook till bottom surface is nicely browned.

you can vary by using whole-wheat flour, or substituting corn meal, bread crumbs or cereal crumbs for part of the flour. you can also add cinnamon, mashed bananas or chopped fruit or berries.

these must be eaten right away as they taste disappointing the next day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen