Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Birthday party menu

speciwoman

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:54 am
I'm having a first birthday party for my son and am trying to come up with a milchig menu....easy and good for adults and kids.

Ideas?

Pineapple

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 7:55 am
Mac. and Cheese!!!

sbs

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 10:28 am
baked ziti
mini pizzas on the store bought little round pizza dough or pizza pinwheels with the big puff pastry dough
little potato knishes
fish sticks
cheese danishes

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 10:49 am
bagels and spreads

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 11:31 am
Mac and cheese
French fries and parve hotdogs
Lasagna

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:05 pm
cut up veggies with dips

jello Smile
personally I want to try making layered jello for my next party or whatever.. like this!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:24 pm
Ice cream sandwiches. Take two choc. chip or similar size cookies and scoop ice cream (softened) in between and refreeze. You can also put sprinkles or choc. chips on side. Much cheaper than buying these in the ice cream store.

Guacamole and salsa with chips

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:36 pm
BTW I've been to a few of these 1 yr. old birthday parties and I'd like to ask, what are they for? Or should I ask, who are they for? The kid is 1, can he/she really appreciate a birthday? Or is it just for pics so he/she can not blame the parent later in life that he/she was deprived as a child?

speciwoman

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:47 pm
Fabulous wrote:
BTW I've been to a few of these 1 yr. old birthday parties and I'd like to ask, what are they for? Or should I ask, who are they for? The kid is 1, can he/she really appreciate a birthday? Or is it just for pics so he/she can not blame the parent later in life that he/she was deprived as a child?

I think my son can appreciate having social time with some of his baby friends. And I think he appreciates having his grandparents come in town to visit him. I know that DH and I appreciate seeing our friends and celebrating our baby. I know we appreciate good food and socializing. I know we appreciate having a good excuse to get family in from out of town.

The language "these 1 year-old birthday parties" does not sit so well with me. If you are picturing some huge, elaborate, fancy party, then that's not what we're having. I don't see anything wrong with 15 or so people coming over, gathering around a happy occasion.

And honestly, the question "who are they for?" makes me roll my eyes and say "blah blah blah." Having a special day for my baby is for him, and us, and everyone there. It seems like a question that people ask just to make waves.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:53 pm
I did not mean to offend with my post. I was really curious. And perhaps you don't make these huge affairs, but people do. I apologize again.

speciwoman

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 12:54 pm
No worries.

tovarena

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 1:16 pm
Fabulous wrote:
what are they for? Or should I ask, who are they for?

The best answer I've seen for these questions is that the 1 year party is for the parents to celebrate surviving the first year. And I say, to each their own level of "fanciness". I know for our kids, the party will be pretty simple. We've rented a covered pavillion in a park (it's during the rainy season so cover is an absolute must) and we're having cake (that my mom is making), fruit, chips, dips, and sodas. We're putting out a roll of paper and crayons and markers for the kids to have something to do. And that's it. BUT, there may well be close to 50 people there (including children) - about 15 families.

I can't speak for all those who make super fancy 1st year celebrations, but certainly everybody has their own cheshbonos. For us, we have no idea how many more, if any, children we will be zoche to. So we try to make each celebration as special as we can - within our price range. I don't think that's so crazy.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 1:39 pm
It's nice. I guess I didn't understand it full, but the way you present it seems pretty special.

cl

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 4:06 pm
The food u serve depends if ur having a sit down meal or a snack-buffet.
I served veg stix with cottage cheese and dips, breadstix, mini apple sauce pots or baby-food jars n plastic spoons n bibs, pretzels n bamba.
I made a big fuss of both my boy's 1st birthdays - which DH didnt really understand but was happy to go along with.
By big I mean a birthday supper with grandparents on the night of the birthday an a kids-n-moms party for friends on the Sunday, with about 8 adults an a couple of kids each. I dont even know why it meant so much to me. Its not because of my friends cos most of them didnt do anything special for their children. It was also fun, getting all the matching paper-ware n balloons, it IS a milestone, an something that will never again be celebrated.
I guess with son no.2 the motivation was partly so he shudnt have less of a celebration than the older one.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 5:37 pm
pinkbubbles wrote:
cut up veggies with dips

jello Smile
personally I want to try making layered jello for my next party or whatever.. like this!

When you figure out how to do this please let me know

amother

Post Wed, Aug 13 2008, 10:48 pm
Fabulous wrote:
I'm making a small party for my 1 year old's birthday... I'll admit it, its partly an excuse for my relatives to give him gifts. Tongue Out evil, I know... but also for him to be able to see grandma and grandpa, aunts and cousins...
I'm probably making it on a friday morning. and yes, I'm doing it for him. he knows whats going on, is aware...
I'm inviting my mom, my siblings, my mil, my brothers and sisters in law, and my neices and nephews, and maybe 1 close freind and her two kids, one of whom is my baby's age. my baby will definitely realize theres a hubub... wont realize why, but thats ok. I plan on taking pics...

And not doing something huge.
Cake,
Chips and dip.
Bamba.
Bisli.
Fruits, and veggies.
Drinks.

no fancy decorations probably...

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Aug 14 2008, 1:30 am
Pineapple wrote:
pinkbubbles wrote:
cut up veggies with dips

jello Smile

When you figure out how to do this please let me know

Honestly? cooks.com has recipes for 'layered jello' which I'll probably use as a guide, but really I'll just pour one color, set slightly (enough so colors dont mix all the way, only a little creating another color) then pour in the next layer. I'm sure it'll take some mistakes and practice. Good thing mistakes with jello are cheap and we don't mind eating the mistakes after.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics