Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Camp not allowing fasting...
Previous  1  2  3

Crayon210

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 10:17 am
American rules are often based on liability concerns, and breaking it once could financially ruin you.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 12:54 pm
freidasima wrote:
I guess I am very Israeli.
Here, rules are made to be broken.
In other words, there are usually tons and tons of crazy rules everywhere. At work, by the government, by youth movements, by schools etc. and it's a national pasttime to hear a rule and your mind is already working out how to circumvent it.

That, bTw is because most of the rules are made by people who say "well people are just going to break them anyhow so let's add on as much as we can, then at least they will do the minimum"

Kind of like syagim but while syagim of chazal are to be taken very seriously, Israeli rules are not.
Hence if my kid would have been faced with something like that, there would have been a general mutiny of all the girls who refused to eat, they would have banded together and done it on their own, not contacting parents, taking the initiative and just refusing, using a lot of rhetoric when necessary and everything up to violence, not including that in such a case.

Yes we are raising a country of yiddishe banditim here. But it's the only way to survive, and survive we will!

I am interesting in hearing whether other posters living in Israel agree with what freidasima wrote.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Aug 18 2008, 6:13 pm
Yes, Israel and America are different about rules. I have to remind my son's camp here in Israel to make sure he takes his medicine. My daughter, who is attending a camp in America, got yelled at by the nurse for neglecting to take her medicine, and now the nurse supervises her daily intake. The medicines involved are "pecautionary/make life easier" prescriptions as opposed to "life threatening if not taken".

Also, the American camp has zero tolerance for even one nit in the hair, and in Israel they assume that kids have lice, and only when the general situation is out of control (obvious problems in a classroom, for example) do they request that parents check heads.

I'm a real "rule person", but does anyone agree that all the American rules (like specific measurements between slats on playground equipment and rules about what kind of surface may be under the slide) make parents more anxious and less confident about raising kids? In a way lots of details just make raising a family harder. Why overcomplicate things? I guess this is the Israeli part of me speaking.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics