Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What to answer to this non-frum gal
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 9:30 am
ny_ima wrote:
To answer ur Q re levush:
Chasidish ppl r born into their wardrobe. Outwardly they may appear frummer to a nonfrum gal, but just like in any other community there are the good the bad (and the ugly) and the shy and the honest and the players. Its not like after u do a million mitzvos u get a shtreimel!

hey I'm not ugly ... Rolling Eyes

most people do seem to connect their garb to their level of godliness ... unfortunately so ...

shaklee - I think you just need to take some more vitamins and tell her we're all human ... there are all types of people in the world ...

Imhappy!

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 10:18 am
Shakleemom, your question is valid and good. I would take my time to personaly answer her questions to the best of my ability and if you are stumped be honest and say "y'know I'm not even sure why we do this this way I am so accustomed to doing this ... let's check this out and try the typical kiruv sites where you can be assured you will have nice, clear answers to basic questions" also you can refer her to ask moses they are helpful too.
in answer to why chasidim ..... I htink it is b/c they don't feel comfortable talking to woman.
I know that my father has a [gentile] that he does business with that guy asks questions all day. why so many kids? what age do you need to cover up the girls? why do u where white shirts only and other don't . what are u mumbling when u come out of the bathroom... and my father answers these questions to the best of his ability F.E. the kids my father told him to make up for my whole extended family that was killed in the holocust/ another time he told him. to make sure s/o will have pity on me in the nursing home ( it was a joke) and when its harder for him to explain father calls me and asks me to get something off hte internet ( he's one of hte older guys that cant seem to get it)
the point is if the ppl she in contact with are not giving her answers. direct her to ppl that can give answers let her see the world as it is with all kids of ppl in it.

happyone

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 11:46 am
greenfire wrote:

shaklee - I think you just need to take some more vitamins and tell her we're all human ...

Rolling Laughter

Crayon210

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:39 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
How many chassidim has she met that she feels so confident making a sweeping generalization about whole communities? Does she make generalizations like that about the black/Chinese/gay/Canadian/Buddhist communities?
she grew up with the Satmars and thinks that is all there is to Chassidus. it's very misleading, of course.

What does that mean that she grew up with Satmars?

What's wrong with Satmar anyway?

Lilkingdom

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:44 pm
How old are you people here?
You seem like a bunch of kidergarten kids!

Chasidim, litvish, chabad etc... every barrel has a few rotten apples. Doesnt mean all of them are bad!

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:52 pm
[quote="Crayon210"]
ShakleeMom wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
How many chassidim has she met that she feels so confident making a sweeping generalization about whole communities? Does she make generalizations like that about the black/Chinese/gay/Canadian/Buddhist communities?
she grew up with the Satmars and thinks that is all there is to Chassidus. it's very misleading, of course.

So tell her that only satmer is terrible meshuganas and the rest of the frum world is normal.

Lilkingdom

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:55 pm
[quote="flowerpower"]
Crayon210 wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

So tell her that only satmer is terrible meshuganas and the rest of the frum world is normal.

Would that be fair to the normal satmars? Maybe rather say that there's a lot more to chasidus and a lot more satmar people who are different. Satmar is so huge, and they live all over, she hasn't met them all.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:56 pm
I was sarcastic!

Lilkingdom

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 1:59 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I was sarcastic!

You know I have guts to get even with you...

I was hoping you were serious! I'd finally show you what I'm capable of Wink

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 2:05 pm
If she thinks that "the Satmars" are the only Chassidim around, she's very ignorant and shallow.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 2:11 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Does she make generalizations like that about the black/Chinese/gay/Canadian/Buddhist communities?
I come from a family of Black-Chinese, gay Buddhist Canadians, and I'm sick and tired of the way you bring us up on the board here. We're people too, you know, not just some random group to bring up in discussions.

Atali

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 2:15 pm
Maya wrote:
If she thinks that "the Satmars" are the only Chassidim around, she's very ignorant and shallow.

I don't see why that makes her shallow, just ignorant.

In my experiences, most non-frum Jews don't know about the differences between Chassidic groups, or even between Chassidic and Litvish. But rather see all Orthodox Jews as either "MO" or "Chassidic"

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 2:32 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:

Atali, what did ShakleeMom mean when she said the above bolded sentence? Was this girl non-frum all her life and lived around Satmar people, or was she herself Satmar once too? I'm confused.

Motek

Post Fri, Aug 22 2008, 4:01 pm
Maya wrote:
Was this girl non-frum all her life and lived around Satmar people, or was she herself Satmar once too? I'm confused.

Her name is Gitty ... Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics