Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Paying a shiva visit to a deaf grandmother

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:09 am
I felt so useless. embarrassed

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:11 am
I take it either one or both of you don't speak sign language?

Even if not, your being there and helping out is something, don't feel useless, try to pitch in.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:13 am
she lost her hearing in her later years so I felt useless since she couldn't hear any consoling talk.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:51 am
I'm sure a hug from a granddaughter goes a long way. Why don't you send a card - then she can read the thoughts/feelings you wanted to express. And it will be like an extra "visit."

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:40 am
You spending any time at all with your grandmother doesn't sound useless to me at all! Especially when she is sitting shiva! I'm sure the communication barrier is difficult and is probably frustrating too but PLEASE don't feel useless. You being there means A LOT to her!!

su7kids

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
she lost her hearing in her later years so I felt useless since she couldn't hear any consoling talk.

Sometimes consoling TALK is not what its about, its just about BEING THERE even for a hearing person, and the fact that Grandma struggles with her hearing and yet you STILL went over, is a major thing, and I'm sure it means a lot to her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette